The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp tone freguencies good, bad, ugly?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 8:29 am    

I read an interesting history about Standel Amps on the net. And I see that Herb has one of the early collectors amps. The inventor of the Standel Amp modified the tone/electronics of it several times until he got a sound that guitar players wanted.
On that subject: Which freguency ranges are pleasant(boosted) and which are not pleasant to us? We all know that midrange in general is not pleasant to the ear and usually lowered. More specifically, which frequencies (hz) are in big demand to the human ear? From which low frequencies do we hear the smooth lows and bad mids and silky highs to the bad/raspy/piercing highs. If you were to set an eq or parametric eq which frequencies sound good or bad to you?
What frequencies are considered to be lower mid range, etc?
Alot of detailed questions here, but curious about opinions.
Thanks
Dennis

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 6:18 pm    

No doubt about it, the Standels are great amps. The one thing that I look for, however is the dynamics of the tone controls. I'm one of the people who doesn't believe they should design an amp "voiced" for a certain instrument, but rather give the player the controls (E-Q power, if you may) to "voice" the amp yourself.

Few musical instrument amplifiers have the "tone dynamics" that you get in any good stereo system nowadays. I don't see why we can't get another amp on the market with bass, mid, treble, and presence controls...AND a 5-8 band graphic equalizer. Once you play using an amp such as this, you will probably find EVERYTHING ELSE lacking in the "tone" department!

I did...and still do!!!