The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finding 15 inch black widow sweet spots
John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 8:15 am    

I mike two speaker cabs. on our gigs with Shure 57's . Cabinets are loaded with 15 inch Peavey black widow speakers . I play in stereo with the set up I have ( Stereo Steel Combo --Gerry Walker's system ). I got instruction inserts from Shure with the two mikes that instructed a direct point straight towards the middle of the speaker cone for the best results and almost touching the speaker cloth. While I have had no complaints from other people about the sound reproduction through the P.A. , is there a better way to mike than straight into the cone ? Are the "sweet spots" of a speaker found easier by using a different mike direction toward the the cabinets? I would appreciate your comments, if you use a simular setup .
Thanks for your responces .
John

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 9:20 am    

This doesn't quite answer your question, but with my Stereo Steel rig, I use the XLR outputs for the sound system taps instead of microphones and it works quite well. I can use the output control on the face of the amp to give the sound guy as much or as little signal as he needs.

One band I play with uses ear plug monitors (which I hate! ) so I don't even take my speakers to the gig.

John Hawkins

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 10:32 am    

Jim,
Many thanks ! I assume you go to a "dry board " as far as the board settings go ? I know there are many variables --especially with sound men, I've had pretty fair luck with mikes with just "dry board" settings thus far. I just thought there might be better ways if you were mikeing . Thanks again .

John

Derrell Stephens

Shreveport, La. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 10:45 am    

John:
I see your still quite the perfectionist, and that's a good thing. Here's what has worked well for me over the years 1) with metal dust caps, like JBL and Black Widow speakers, use a good, robust SM57(they are not all the same) placed 'straight in, just off the edge of the dust cover on either side; 2) with soft dust covers, it's really hard for me to tell the difference between in the middle and off to the side. 3) My best mic sound in the studio thus far has been 3 mics; 2 SM57 set as mentioned above and a SM58 laying on a small towel in the back of my large ext. speaker cabinet right under the speaker next to the baffle board.
While working live, if you have line out capabilities, by all means, use them...they are typically a 'no loss of sound quality solution' and you get no extra bandstand noises to the mixer. Have the sound person try to duplicate the sound coming from your speakers; make them go listen to the speakers!!
When I play live, I use some direct boxes that I made years ago that connect right to the speaker output of my amp---wow! I haven't yet been in the earpiece situation that brother Jim gets into.. sure do dread it though! Have agood day gentlemen!

Derrell

John Hawkins

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 1:07 pm    

Derrell ,

Thanks, my friend, for your input ! I've always listened to you and you have been right on the button every time !! I'll give what you suggested a try next week in Lufkin !

Thanks again ,
John