The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Well,,,Guess What?,,,
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 11:36 pm    

A while back I posted about ditching my "stereo" set up with all the effects and two Nashville 1000's and how much I liked playing through just one amp and a little reverb. Well, last night, Friday, we played a big county fair gig and I thought I'd set up the full rig again. I did, and it was OK fine, but tonight I went back to the one amp, no effects and just a little reverb. Man, I don't think I'll ever use the full rig again. I just failed to realize how pure and sweet the natural sound of a steel is. If you let it work for you, you'll reach down really deep and pull out some stuff that will amaze and surprise you as well as your fellow pickers and listeners.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 4:39 am    

Hi Bobby,

I tend to agree with you. I still like recording in stereo however. It makes the steel sound really lush especailly with a good stereo reverb on it. Not much reverb mind you but it does add depth to the instrument. I use my TubeFex primarily for "sweetening" the steel. No Chorus, Flange, Pitch,etc. Just some eq.

Regards,

Mark T.

[This message was edited by mtulbert on 17 September 2000 at 05:40 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 8:43 am    

I "second the motion", Bobby! I think the reason that the steel was so identifiable back in the '60s was the clean sound. I think that when we started adding all the extra effects, it took on the same "personality" as electronic keyboards.

'Course, most players nowadays would brand me an "old geezer" for wanting to keep it simple and clean.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 8:55 am    

Have to agree with you Bobby 100%.

carl

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 10:19 am    

and me...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 2:07 pm    

Hi Bobby, I've been using my old ZB S10 at the theatre show I play at every Fri. & Sat.
At first I was playing it through two amps with stereo delay. For the past couple of weeks, I switched to an ancient Fender twin with only the amp reverb. I love it because it has a real retro tone (reminds me of Brumley with Buck). Last nite I polled the band as to what they thought, and every one of them (there's six other guys besides me)said they thought the tone was real sweet and "real steel". I'm with you 100% on this!

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 7:02 pm    

[This message was edited by Keith Murrow on 26 October 2004 at 04:39 PM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 7:12 pm    

Geezers? I'm only 36, and I like the sound of the steel guitar with very few effects. Just a little reverb, like you've described.

At least that's what I think I like. Are there many country songs out there on today's radio that have much in the way of effects on the steel guitar being used?

I was debating between the Nashville 1000 and Session 2000. They guy at the store started playing through the effects on the 2000. I hardly recognized what I was hearing as a steel guitar.

For those using the Peavy amps, do you find that the tone controls on the amp are enough, or do you also use an EQ in-line with your setup?

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 7:48 pm    

Bobby-
Right on! Call me a geezer if you like.

I don't recall ever getting a better sweet steel sound than with my old Fender Twin with 2 JBL's D-120.

I kinda liked my old Fender Pro-Reverb with a 15" D-130 JBL too.

But time marches on. I wish Peavey would make a amp like that, only take off about 30 Lbs......al

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 10:10 pm    

I've thought lately that with all the preamps, sustain units, and all the other stuff, people are wanting their steel guitars to become a synthesizer or something. That includes being in perfect tune to everything. One thing that makes one musical instrument different than another aside from the obvious tone are small imperfections in the tuneability of the instrument. No instrument will ever be in perfect tune with another, because of things like temprature, and a whole lot of other envoirmental variables. I like a steel guitar sound where the only effects used are a little reverb, and on special occasions, a dab of delay. And speaking of geezers, and I won't tell you why, but my nickname used to be J.C. Yukon Geeze the flash.
John

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 4:50 pm    

I too have gone back to the basics. The reverb in my Nashville 1000 sounds good to me. I have ditched my rack and am using a Danecho for a little delay on slow stuff. The only thing that I'm concerned about is when I'll surely hit a shaky stage and those springs get to thundering! I'll probably pick up some sort of reverb stomp box for these situations. Any suggestions?

Hey Jody! I hope you are well and I KNOW you are playing yo' butt off!!!!

Tommy D

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 2:28 am    

I have to disagree. I too started out when there wasn't any effects - just an amp that amplified nothing else. However, I've been playing with a little reverb and a little delay for many years and you'd have to fight me tooth and nail to take it away.

We had this same subject before on the forum. It was all "I agree no effects" until one of the "big boys" mentioned he still uses effects then the comments went the other way.....

Also, I'm not sure why b0b moved this to the electronics section - it should be in the general discussion area.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 6:19 am    

Let me give another view of the "effects vs. clean" syndrome. I used a Session 2000 on a gig this past Saturday night. I tried a few of the presets and finally settled on preset #21, which has the following effects programmed in the chain; STEEL EQ, REVERB, PITCH SHIFT 1, DELAY AND 3 BAND EQ. This particular preset sounded so good that I got compliments on my tone from two bandmembers, which is very rare.

Personally, I prefer a clean tone through my Nashville 400 with nothing but reverb. But, I must say that I played better and I think that I was inspired to play better by the sound that I was hearing using the Session 2000. Like everyone else, I like a change sometimes and the Session did it for me.

I know that not everyone gets to try different amps weekly, but I must say that I haven't experienced any Peavey steel amps that "don't cut it". All have had plenty of power and sounded great.

Thanks for choosing Peavey products for your performances. If you would like to read reviews on the Peavey Nashville 1000 amplifier, you may visit our website at "www.peavey.com". If you need further information concerning the Session 2000 steel guitar system, call me toll free in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 4:19 pm    

Right on, Sir. I made this discovery a while back too. I was playing through two amps with stereo echo and Chorus (sometimes). I started practicing through my Mesa mark I with just a little reverb and could not believe the warm pure sound. I think we wonder this earth in circles like the Australian aboriginies.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 12:45 pm    

Tommy,
You got a 1000? How do you like it?

Bill Erb

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 6:35 pm    

Hi Bobby
I too sold all my stereo gear. I am playing threw a Nashville 400 and a DD3 Boss delay. The sound is the best I have ever had. I have found that the main secret is in the hands. Also how far I play from the pickup one way or the other makes a big difference in my sound. Amp settings also play a big part in my sound. In our band I mike the amp threw the PA system. Over all I am very happy with my sound. Talk with you all later. Happy picking.

------------------
BILL ERB