The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Time for a new amp
Tim Fleming

Pasadena, CA. The other Rose City (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 12:26 pm    

It's time for an upgrade.

I've heard plenty about Mesa Boogie, Evans, Webb and, of course, the new Peavy 1000 series.

Most, if not any, are not available to try in the LA area. So I would love any input on these and other amps.

Thanks,
Tim Fleming

ToneJunkie

Columbia, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 3:23 pm    

Play through them, listen to them, then buy what makes ya feeeeel good!

Cheers

------------------
Robert Hicks - Fessenden S12U

Home Page: http://www.members.home.net/tonejunkie
Email: rhhicks@home.com

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 2:40 pm    

Tim,
For what it's worth,,,,,I have two new Peavey 1000's. I absolutly love them. Sometimes I play through both with a Pro-Fex II, but they are so clean and powerful that lately I've really enjoyed playing through just one with the reverb around 2 or 3.
Whatever you get, it'll probably take two or three gigs to find the "sweet" settings.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 5:37 pm    

Hey Tim,

I have an "Evans" which I love, and a "Peavey Nashville 400". I would like to have a "Webb" someday and the "Evans" and "Webbs" are my personal choices. I've played a friend's "Peavey 1000" and it also sounded great. I think that it comes down to personal taste and how much money you want to spend.

One nice thing about "Webb" and "Evans" is that they are made by the person who owns the company. It's always nice to call the guy who made your amp about a question. But then, "Peavey", is likely to be around for a long time should you need parts 10 + years from now and they are also good amps. Any of the those are good choices.

I live about 30 minutes from you. If you want to come by and plug in for a test drive, your more than welcome. Remember, Christmas is around the corner should you be in a, "giving mood" and want to go for the, "order 2 and get a discount" deal. Ok, never mind!!

"Blackie Taylor" in Riverside sells "Evans".

Take care,

Bill

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2000 9:26 am    

Give me a call next week. I live north of Westwood. You may come by and try my Evans SE150 with High Voltage Feature. I bought it from TrueTone Music in Santa Monica. There is another Evans dealer in the South Bay somewhere, and, of course Blackie Taylor in Riverside.
If you wait a while, you may also try a Twin Reverb with a D130 that I am re-tolexing. The chassis is out of the box right now.
Chris Lucker (310) 476-4779.

Tim Fleming

Pasadena, CA. The other Rose City (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2000 10:53 pm    

I'm just posting this reply so all the ISGC folks'll see the post.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 5:46 am    

I have a Nashville 1000. I just returned from the convention where after hearing a number of players on stage, I went and bought a new SE200 Evans. When Lloyd Green had to apologize for not getting the sound he wanted, I figured it was time to look elsewhere.

Don Townsend

Turner Valley, Alberta Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 2:56 pm    

Mike Weirich; Would you elaborate on your comment that "Lloyd Green had to apologize for not getting the sound he wanted"? What's that all about?
DT

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 3:10 pm    

If you were in the audience yesterday (Sunday), you heard him apologize for not having the sound he was looking for. He was playing through what looked to be a couple of 1000's. I watched him do his sound check Friday morning and they found 2 Nashville 400's for him but one quit working. Personally, I think Lloyd Green through a string into a tin can sounds fantstic but he was clearly uncomfortable with with the sound he had. How could you have missed that? All eyes and ears were on him for his entire set.

Don Townsend

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 3:18 pm    

Thanks for sharing that, Mike. I didn't get to the convention, so your information was interesting.
DT

Don Townsend

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 3:20 pm    

And my sincere apologies for mis-spelling your last name in my first post.
DT

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 3:22 pm    

Hey Don, no one can spell it OR pronounce it after it is spelled!!!

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 2:03 pm    

Not obtaining a preferred tone for a particular venue doesn't necessarily point to the amp as being the symptom. It is only part of what produces the music. I thought that Lloyd sounded great(as always).

The high ceiling, oval shaped room where the convention is held every year is very hard to equalize. It takes a good ear and sound company to achieve an acceptable sound in this situation and RLT Audio does a great job every year. If you have ever stood on that stage while a steeler is performing, you know that there is a good amount of slapback from the back wall. It is very difficult for a player to perform well in this situation.

Considering the amount of positive comments that are posted on this forum about the Nashville 1000 amp, I believe that there could be other reasons, but I believe that it was the room.