The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for bOb?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 5:26 am    

Hi bOb:
Did you get that tube preamp you wre going to hook up with your Mesa Boogie 50/50 power amp and if so, how do you like it? I have the 50/50 power amp and it does have a nice vibe. Totally different from a solid state power amp. I have been using a GP-100 preamp processor and have been thinking about a straight preamp with a reverb unit

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2000 11:58 am    

Yes, I got it Len. It's a older TubeWroks Real Tube II, without the steel mod. I've only used it on one gig so far but I liked it fine. The bandleader said I sounded like I always do, which is actually a good sign because it was a totally different rig from anything I'd used before. I take this to mean that it was under control.

I've never really used a solid state preamp, but this Real Tube II compares favorably with the preamp in my Mesa/Boogie Maverick combo amp. It is a lot easier to control than the Peavey Tubefex.

I'll be using it again for a club gig this Saturday night, with the "small" speaker system (a JBL 15 and a EVM 12). I don't expect any problems. My biggest challenge is switching channels on the preamp and switching tones on the Lexicon processor.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2000 4:23 pm    

Ok bOb!.....Thanks for the update.

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 9:38 am    

Len, I played a bar gig Saturday night and the amp sounded awesome. There were moments when I had the best rock tone of my life. The notes seemed to "blossom" from the speakers. I was astonished. This is a good sounding rig!

I'm still struggling with settings on the Lexicon MPX-100. The lack of a display panel makes it sort of hard to control. Often I'm not really sure what patch I'm on.

------------------

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 3:35 pm    

OK bOb:
Sounds like you have a good match with the preamp. I assume the preamp with the steel mod makes it a bit cleaner? I have used a boss 3 pedal case with an RV-3 for reverb and a DD-3 for delay with an amp that does not have reverb. With the combination of the RV-3 & DD-3 it allows you to use each effect by itself or together with no fiddling with dials.
Len Amaral

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 4:46 pm    

I'm pretty comfortable with the reverb/delay settings in the Lexicon, but the Leslie effect is hard to bring up. When you use Leslie you have to turn the Mix control full ON to get the effect, and you lose the reverb/delay. Then when you switch back to reverb/delay, you have to turn down the Mix knob again.

I'm thinking I probably need a separate MPX-100 to do the Leslie effect, so I could just hit the Bypass switch on it. Two Lexicons seems like a lot of gear, but I can't think of any other way to switch the Leslie sound in and out quickly.

------------------