The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need your help/suggestions
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 5:49 am    

I own a fairly old Session 500 amp. I just put a BW speaker in it so that isn't the problem. My problem is that when I play high notes, the sound is rather shrill. I tried turning down the high range but then I don;t really get any volume. Should I get an equalizer or do you think that I need to get another amp? I don;t know thw year but you turn it on and off by a switch in the back of the amp. I was thinking maybe I need to get it reworked. Any input is appreciated.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 8:08 am    

I'm very partial to Session 400 amps that were manufactured before the Session 500 but have always had problems with EQ on my Session 500 or the newer 400s. I just find it easier to find 'my sound' in any room on the old 400. THIS IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

I am wondering about your statement
Quote:
I tried turning down the high range but then I don;t really get any volume.
Is this really true? If so you may have other problems. Turning the treble and/or presence down a little (like from 6 to 4 or so) should not DRAMATICALLY zap your volume. If this is happening, you may want to seek out a Peavey service center or send the amp back to Peavey.

While I personally prefer other amps, I must admit that I know a lot of players (e.g., Joe Wright, Frank Rogers) who get GREAT tone out of a Session 5.

LTB

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 8:09 am    

The old Session 500 is a great amp. What model speaker did you put in it?? The amp is old and may need some TLC but it is one of the better amps Peavey put out. I used one for 15 years.

Check the EQ settings. I set mine, about the same as a Nashville 400. Low about 3 O'clock position. Paramid on 800Hz and the cut on about -3, High and Presence about 0 to +1 or +2. These settings should get you in the ballpark

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 11:16 am    

Tim,
You need to determine if the amp is not functioning correctly or if it is and you just don't care for the tone or EQ. That is step #1. If you're not sure, get someone to help you with this; Someone with a familiarity with electronics or this amp in particular. This is an older unit. Do you want to put it in A-1 condition or sell it and buy a more modern amp? There are mods out there to improve the sound of these amps. You could be a candidate for something like this. Has the amp sound changed radically lately?

Bob

tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 11:40 am    

Thanks guys for the responses. I got that amp free when I bought an MSA. It didn't have a speaker so I bought a 15" BW speaker for it so I can't really say if the sound has changed any. One thing is that one knob (I don;t remember what one right now) POPS (loud) when you turn it but it doesn't do anything with the sound so I;'m thinking that it might need new wiring installed. I'm going to try some fo the settings that were recommended and let you guys know what transpires.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 1:23 pm    

Tim, which BW speaker did you install? The 1501-4 (4 ohm) is the one for that amp and for steel.

The pot that is cracking could just be dirty. Sometimes (with the power off) running the pots from one end to the other several times will help. Other times cleaning them with pot cleaner will help. As a last resort the pot will have to be replaced.

One other thing, make sure the string effect (distortion) is off. Also turn the chorous off. You can try these later - first concentrate on getting the basic amp working.

If someone "threw it in" with a guitar it may be it needs repair. I've worked on these and they're fairly straightforward. However, if you're not a tech I would suggest sending it back to Peavey for repair, if it gets to that point. Their prices are "reasonable" and generally the turnaround time is good.

It's a great amp, heavy but a good amp.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 5:41 am    

Hello Tim,
Just from the symptoms that you have listed, it sounds as if your amp might need to be restored to factory specs. Or, a couple of pots might need replacing. I invite you to send the power module and preamp chassis to me here at Peavey. Players who own and play this amp, love it.

The Session 500 originally shipped with the 1501-4ohm, then the 1501-4ohm DT Black Widow speaker. I suggest the Black Widow 1501-4ohm shallow basket for the steel guitar applications.

If you want to ship the amp to the factory, the address is;
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Hwy. 80 East
Meridian, MS 39301

I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391 here at Peavey.