The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why Use Effects?
David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 7:38 am    

It seems like most pedal steel players use effects of some sort: Profex, etc.(I don't consider reverb an effect since most amps made in the last 30 years have had reverb built in). Why is this so? Are there advantages to using an effects processor as opposed to running directly into an amp? Do some pedal steels sound better with effects?

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 8:24 am    

I use the following effects, with the reasons given:

Reverb: obvious....but I prefer the sound of a good digital reverb to the reverbs in most modern amps. The Lexicon has a particularly good sound.

Echo/Delay: I use this to get that sweet echoplex sound for traditional country, but also to add body to the sound for no traditional sounds. It's a must have for rock ballad playing.

Chorus/Flange: I use this sparingly these days. Mostly to get a sound that evokes a B3 in a blues situation. It can be useful to get a 'modern' jazz sound a la John Scofield or Mike Stern.

Compressor: I usually use this sort of thing with minimal compression but maximum gain to help overdrive a tube amp for extreme rock sounds.

Overdrive: I use a tube screamer type setting for the same effect (but more intense) as the compressor).

Envelope filter (aka autowah): This can be really useful (if not overdone) in funk music. Also can be used with the proper settings to emulate the sound of a wah pedal as used by the Sacred Steel players.

Octave divider: Occasionally fun to use, especially in fusion jazz situations. I typically use the octave below.

On a country or blues gig I typically don't use anything other than reverb and delay.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 9:17 am    

I think it's personal choice, but I like a little reverb and delay. I have a Transtube Fex but probably use my main program (a little delay and reverb) 98% of the time. Occasionally I'll use chorus or phase or distortion for a certain song or phrase but then it's back to the reverb and delay.

When I use my MatchBro, I use just a slight bit of reverb only.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 9:29 am    

Using the same settings all the time gets a little boring to me. I like experimentation. There are lots of great things to try(and use) in processors. If you don't try something, you may miss a sound you've been looking for your whole life....'course then again, I'm sure there are still guys around that swear by drum brakes.

Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 3:19 am    

I donĀ“t let any effect between my steel (Emmons P/P) and my amp (Sho bud). I like the pure sound of the Pedal-Steel-Guitar.

Horst

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 9:25 am    

Some situations call for different sounds. Its good to have a large pallet and bag of tricks handy.

Bob

------------------
Franklin D-10

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 2:50 pm    

I love the pure steel sound, thats is how I always practice. On stage, I just use a little delay.

------------------
The Young Steelkid

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2000 9:47 am    

why use effects?

for the same reason there's more than one flavor of Ice Cream.

or a better analogy might be "more kinds of spices than just Salt"

Salt's really good, but so's Tabasco (for some folks)

------------------
"I AM ZUMBODY!"

Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6
www.voicenet.com/~vanallen/
ICQ 42635125

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 29 July 2000 at 10:49 AM.]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 3:10 pm    

I have a two-space rack with only 2 units - Lexicon MPX-100 and an ART dual 15-band EQ.

I use the EQ to enhance the already sweet sound of my Mullen through an Evans and a Nashville 400.

With the Lex, my favorite settings just involve Reverb, Delay, and a small dash of Chorus (on occasion). Most of my settings are just different types of reverbs. Oddly enough, some of the different reverb settings change the tone slightly, which I like. I don't like having the same old sound on each song; but then again, I don't like loading up on all kinds of f/x stuff either.

Other added bonus - the Lex output volume acts like a master volume control for both amps and the ART EQ unit has a volume control on each of the two channels. That way I can set the mix the way I want it with the ART and turn everything up or down with the Lex.

Lee, from South Texas

Dennis Boyd

Suisun City, CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 8:12 pm    

David,
If you're playing any heavy metal music you,ve got to have some distortion and maybe a little compression. Chorus and various reverb settings also give you some nice organ-like sounds too. Fun to use if you need them. Depends on the music I guess.

Dennis