The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Peavey Steel Guitar amp to buy in Europe?
Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2000 12:58 pm    

I am happy to read, that Peavey does so much for their customers, including steel players, in the U.S.A.
Here in Europe we have always bought the Peavey models Session 400, Nashville 400, and finally the newest model which is CE-marked for the European electrical standards, the Session Limited.
However despite the Session Limited already has been tested and CE-marked for Europe, we have been told, that Peavey has decided to stop making that model. Now the question is: What amplifier should steel playes buy and play in the future? Will there be another model for Europe? The question about 110 Volts contra 220 Volts should not present a problem, since a lot of cheap tape recorders or keyboard has a current input which feels what the Voltage is in the land, and adjusts itself to that.
All the best
Henning Kock
(pedal steel guitar, piano, keyboards)
Henning K. Music
111 Aarhusvej
DK-8300 Odder
Denmark,
Europe
phone 8654 2959
e-mail address: henningkmusic@hotmail.com
webpages:
pedal steel guitar: www.geocities.com/Nashville/1520
piano & keyyboard: www.danskmusik.com/dmfbook/selskab/html/henning_kock.html www.festmusik.dk/henning_kock.html

------------------

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 5:56 am    

Henning,

The Stereo Chorus 212 is no longer manufactured, but you can probably find a good used one for a reasonable price. It can be wired for 220V, and it sounds mighty good with the Lemay "Super Mod".

All in all, I would say "buy what works", and don't worry about it being the "latest or greatest".

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 6:30 am    

Henning,

Evans is working on an amp for Europe.
You may check with Jan Visser to hear if they are ready with it.
If we want to buy a new amp over here, I think that will be our only choice.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 10:32 am    

If I had the money to buy an extra amp for my steel I'd go with a modular system.
A powerful tube-poweramp (Mesa 90:90 for instance), a 15" BW cabinet and a tube preamp would be my amp of choice. To hell with CE.

-martin

------------------
Sierra Crown gearless S-10 3x4

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 12:34 pm    

Hello Henning,

I believe you can buy any current Peavey amplifier in Europe. The importer for Europe is located somewhere in the UK but I suppose you can order a Peavey product in almost any local supplier. You probably can not try one without buying (or paying for the transport) for there will not be many dealers that have amps in stock.

I have chosen for a modular set up: I have bought an all-tube system in January 1999: Peavey Tubefex + Peavey Classic 50 stereo + two 115BW cabinets. It sounds very good in my ears; both steel and electrical guitar, but I must agree with the common (?) opinion that the level of noise/hiss is fairly high for steel application.
I know that Bobby Lee has the same problem with the noise/hiss (Hey Bobby: did you already find a solution?). Maybe Peavey can offer a solution to this as well (Mike??).

Wish you every success in finding the right amp!

Ad

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 3:01 pm    

Ad, if you are not using the noise gate in the TubeFex, put in as the last effect in a chain. It quiets it down quite a bit. I have a Transtube Fex and when I was using it with the Power Amp In on my Nashville 400 I had too much noise and the noise gate quieted it down within reasonable levels. I now use a MosValve 500 power amp and it is much quieter than the Nashville 400.

Go to my web site and you can download a listing of my Transtube Fex programs with the noise gate.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jestoner/

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 11:55 pm    

Ad,

unfortunately you can NOT buy every amp by Peavey in Europe, at least not in Germany. They have to be CE-approved wich costs a lot of money and I guess Peavey doesn't believe that they'd sell the amount of their Steel-amps that would justify the cost of that process.

-martin

------------------
Sierra Crown gearless S-10 3x4