The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions for Keith Hilton
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2000 9:02 pm    

When I forst started playing I iused a Goodrich 6121 volume pedal witht he built in impedence matching circuitry. When I bought a Match Bro, I switch to a model 120 so as to avoid duplicating the circuitry in both the match-bro and the volume pedal.

Does your new volume pedal have this circuitry built in? How does it interact with the match-bro?

And how does the new volume pedal compare with the digital sustain unit,? and how does the sustain unit interact with the match-bro?

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 5:17 pm    

Mike, let my try and answer your questions. The Match Bro is a battery operated pre-amp. The Goodrich model 120 is a straight POT pedal. You ask if my volume pedal has this circuitry built in? First, let me say that the Goodrich devices are totally different than my devices. My pedal has my Digital Sustain circuit built in as the first stage. There is much, much more in the pedal besides this first stage. There is another 16 pin integrated chip that follows the Digital Sustain cirucit. My pedal contains "NO" POT. The Goodrich 120 has a pot. None of my pedals have POTS, all of the Goodrich pedals have POTS.
You asked how my pedal interacts with the match-bro. You can use my pedal with any pre-amp in front of it, but doing this is redundant. There is no need to pre-amp a pre-amp.
You asked ask how the infrared volume pedal compares with the Digital Sustain Unit.
These two units were designed for different use. The Digital Sustain Unit was designed for use with a traditional 500K steel guitar POT pedal. The Digital Sustain Unit improves the tone quality and sustain when used with a 500K pot pedal. Although the Sustain Unit is the first stage of the pedal, there is a different sound as it goes through the rest of the electronics in the pedal. In my opinion I think you get more "Quality" in the sound from the infrared pedal, than the Digital Sustain used with a POT pedal. That is my choice when I play out in public. Some of my big name players carry a spare pot pedal and a Digital Sustain in their pack-a-seat, just in case of a emergency.
You ask how the Digital Sustain interacts with the Goodrich Match-Bro? Again, there is no need for a pre-amp to pre-amp a pre-amp. Using both is redundant, you gain no quaility in your sound, and you only have to turn other stuff down.
Mike, I try my best to not run down Goodrich products. I only wish that there were more people besides myself and Goodrich making electronic products for pedal steel guitar. I really think a person should give the products a listen and let your ear be your guide.
I have a new saying: "We provide the equipment---you provide the dreams!" Hope this helps.

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 12 July 2000 at 06:18 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2000 2:20 am    

Keith, the MatchBro (dobro simulator) has buffering in it. There are several models of the MatchBro, but basically there are two, the original model which has a buffer/impedence device in the bypass mode and the newer units that completely bypass the unit when it is off.

Unless someone is an electronics tech and rewires the older model (and there are lots of the older models around), they will have a "matchbox" in line at all times. In those cases the ones with your pedal will have redundant buffer amps.

Keith, have you ever considered a bypass switch for the digital sustain part of the volume pedal? I guess you'd still have to have some type of op-amp on the input and output of the pedal.

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2000 2:23 am    

Mike I am using my Match-Bro with Keith's new
pedal and it works great. The only reason I'm using them together is I need my "dobro"
effect occasionally. Keith's pedal is the best pedal on the market today bar none.You will not believe the improvement in your sound. God Bless
Dale

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2000 7:33 am    

Dale, thanks for the information. I feel honored that you are using my pedal. Thanks! Jack it wouldn't work putting a by-pass switch on my pedal. I need the high impedance input of the first stage buffer to maintain the quality of the pickup. Without it, it sounds like a wet blanket.

------------------

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 1:24 pm    

Thanks Dale. Like yourself, I want the Match-bro for the dobro sound. It's good to know that it works well with the new pedal.

I'll be trying one out soon.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 1:51 am    

Keith says "Some players carry a spare pot pedal and a Digital Sustain in their pack-a-seat, just in case of an emergency." I'm so thrilled with the sound of Keith's pedal that I've ordered another one for a spare- and to use on my lap steel rig- I'm running my Sierra through a pot pedal and the difference when I switch to the Infra-red is amazing. Just got to have two. Thanks Keith!

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro