The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1502 in a Nashville 400?
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 5:08 pm    

Who's done it or heard it? Is the '02 basket mellower than the 1501?

Thanks.
--------
Jeff

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 6:55 pm    

Jeff, some of the older 400's had the 1502, which is a bass speaker I believe. I had one of them myself, and didn't care for it - not enough high-end presence to my ears. They do get slightly more bottom end, so if you prefer that over the top end, you may like it better than the 1501.

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 7:23 pm    

I have a 400 that I was told by Peavey was made in 1984 (serial # 4A-01750860). It has a 1502 speaker in it. Since I have never heard it with a 1501 I don't know if it would sound better or not. (The amp does have the Miracle Audio Super Mod.)

My question is: If I were to put a 1501 in the amp, should I try the current 1501 Shallow Basket type or try to find a 1501 Deep Basket type. (I believe the Deep Basket speaker is older and no longer made.)

Jake Doell

Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 11:13 pm    

The speaker # on my old'83 is104570.Is
this any indication of which speaker it has
in it?I can't seem to find any other numbers
on it.Thank for any info,
Jake Doell

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2000 11:26 am    

I had trouble finding the model number on mine the first time too.

It is behind the speaker magnet just below the terminal block where the speaker wires connect to the speaker. That big heat sink on the back of the amp and the cross brace just below it get in the way of seeing the label. You have to kind of get in from the side where the pre amp in/out jacks are with a flashlight! (Or take off that cross brace and remove the speaker.)

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2000 8:17 pm    

you can just take a small mirror and read the #s at the speaker terminals.

I have an older n/v 400 with a 1502 shallow basket and a Lemay mod in it that sounds much better than a newer one I have with the 1501 & Peavey mod.
This encludes everything from the low to the high spectrum.
of course this depends on the tone you're after.

[This message was edited by KENNY FORBESS on 05 July 2000 at 05:58 AM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 6:23 am    

The model name/number is located on a white sticker that is located above the red and black speaker terminals on your Black Widow speaker. The questions about Peavey steel speakers have come up quite frequently during the last month or so and I have explained what models we used and when they were used, so you might want to do a search function to locate my explanations of this topic. I think that maybe an article is in order here so that you can determine what speakers we have used in our steel amps since the mid '70's. I will write it and post it on the Peavey Interactive Forum after completion. I invite you to visit our Forum and submit your questions to our technicians.

As for the comparison of the pre-Kevlar model of the 1502-4 ohm BW, it sound good in my opinion as my 1985 Nashville 400 had a pre-Kevlar 1502 in it. But, the 1501-4 ohm shallow basket is what we use in our steel amps now and I highly recommend this model for steel guitar applications. If you have questions concerning this, feel free to contact me toll free here at Peavey.

I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391 should you have further questions. I'll be glad to answer them for you.

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 05 July 2000 at 08:03 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 6:39 am    

I usually play through an Evans SE200, but my backup amp is a Nashville 400 I got from Scott Moon. It had a D130F 8 ohm in it so I replaced it with a 1502-4 at the suggestion of Jim Loessberg. I think the 1502 is a wonderful speaker for the NV400.

Incidentally, I also have a 1502 in my Evans and that is a great replacement speaker for that amp as well. It was recommended to me by Ed Buffington, in fact.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 7:57 am    

Herb, thank you for your kind comments and support.

------------------

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 7:23 pm    

Thanks for the input everyone.

KENNY: Could you elaborate on those tonal differences between your two 400s? [What I'm after is a rounder (kinder, gentler) mid/high-mid-range, while especially avoiding thin, shrill high-end sounds.]

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2000 9:36 am    

Jeff,
You pretty well nailed down the characteristics of the 1502 in my older n/v 400.
I could't have put in words any better description of the difference in the sounds,
However, I like the "differences" because it gives me a final tone that I want to hear especially using them in stereo,
I love my Peaveys,I also have two Webbs,but I use the Peavey's the most.
Kenny