The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  difference from using 8ohm in place of 4ohm
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 4:25 pm    

hi guys,
I need a speaker for my Peavey 500 series amp. The stock speaker is a 4ohm. Besides the loss in wattage, is there any other side effects from using the 8ohm in place of the 4? I'm not really playing in big areas- just in the house and church so I'm not really concerned about being able to blow the windows out. Thanks for the input

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 8:49 pm    

Tim...

I think the only thing you will notice will be a more mellow tone, (and ,in my own humble opinion, a more rich tone) with no noticeable loss of volumne.

You may wish to check with Jack Stoner on this but I think as you are running a Solid State amp, you will not hurt the amp at all by going to a 8 ohm transducer from a 4 ohm unit.

Be SURE that the 8 ohm speaker will handle the output wattage of the "500" amp. Would hate to see you smoke a new speaker because it's under rated.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 21 June 2000 at 09:52 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 2:24 am    

Why do you want to replace it with an 8 ohm? The 4 ohm is what is designed for it. But then I'm the kind that likes to keep things "stock". I figure the engineers that designed something (anything not just this particular item) know more than I do.

tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 3:21 am    

Jack,
I'm an engineer ready to graduate from college and appreciate your comments though I know that experience is the best educator.
The reason that I was interested in the 8 is because the musicstore that I went to said that they would have to order the 4 and it would be by the middle of July if I was lucky. They have an 8 ohm in stock and being that I didn't want to wait a month or two.....I posted a want add in buy & sell so we'll see what happens.
Thanks guys

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 10:25 am    

Tim,

Everything else being equal, the only difference is a loss of maximum power connecting an 8 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm amp. No fidelity change should be heard by the ear. Double blind tests have proven this in audio engineering labs repeatedly,

carl

tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 10:53 am    

I bought a 4ohm speaker off a gentleman. Thanks for the input guys.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 10:22 am    

I suggest that you purchase the same model of Peavey Black Widow speaker so at least they will have the same voicing. If your Session 500 has the stock BW speaker, it is a original 1501-4 DT basket, which we don't manufacture with a paper cone any longer, however you may find a used speaker. The BW speaker that we specify for steel guitar applications at this time is the 1501-4BW shallow basket(item #00027020), which can be purchased at your nearest authorized Peavey dealer. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me here at the factory. Our toll free number is 1-877-732-8391. Thanks for choosing Peavey products.