The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has Anyone Experimented With The New Danelectro Amps?
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2000 5:59 pm    

Howdy ya'll,

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with the Nifty 50 or Dirty 30 amps made by danelectro. They claim that they are great solidstate amps that sound more like tube amps but I am not so sure that I believe them. I am trying to decide what amp I wanna buy. I am currently using a Peavey Envoy 110 that seems twangy enough and has a good reverb unit in it. I use a Fender Champion Lap Steel and a Fender Pedal 6000 (I believe). If anyone has info on NEW Danelectro amps and if anyone has a suggestion for a good cheap gig amp, please give me a holler. THANKS and ADIOS!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 1:28 pm    

I have the Dano nifty 50. It's a cool little practice amp, gets very loud when you're playing with a dirty tone. Not so good for steel unless you just want something light and portable to pull out for a practice or jam session, and you don't care too much about your tone.

I use it mainly as a practice amp when I'm playing my 6-string. It has an interesting tone for that application, and the price is good. I've used it for some cocktail lounge gigs (again as a lead player, not for steel) and it has done well for me.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 2:37 pm    

With all due respect to Chris, in my opinion they sound like cheap solid state amps (I tried one out with a standard guitar and didn't like anything but the looks). And I really did not like the character of the overdrive/distortion at all.

-Bill

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 10:36 am    

I have two of them in my living room for practice amps (stereo effects). They work fine for low volume clean stuff. A total no-go for gigging applications. The wife says they look cool and are small enough to stay in the living room (better known to me as my practice room).

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 4:48 am    

Maybe I should clarify. I play a re-issue Danelectro U-2 through it. Sounds very cool, hollow, midrangy, crunchy. But my tele and strat don't very sound good through it. Works great at a gig when I'm playing a small room and miking the amp. I've gotten nothing but compliments about the tone from other gtr players who are surprised that the dano sounds the way it does.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 5:38 am    

I'll have to give these another shot.

I really like the Dano guitars by the way. I bought a Danelectro Baritone a few months ago and it sounds great for cleaner twangy stuff. Overdriven those pickups don't sound so good though, but a little crunchy is fine.

-Bill