The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intermittent power problem.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 6:05 am    

Here's a little tip from experience that I just went thru. While I was playing my gig, I noticed that my power would drop significantly, almost to 0 with just a little sound coming thru. I checked all of my cords, replacing them one by one, dickered around with the input at the guitar and the amp and figured it was the amp as when I wiggled the input it would stop. Well, yesterday I did a session with no amp, just using my Emmons-->Vol. pedal-->preamp--> D.I. box and again, the same problem. The only thing that I had ignored was my volume pedal. Checked it out and it looked fine till I wiggled the input and output cords. Turns out it was dirt on the input or output jack. Sprayed with pot cleaner, Presto! no problem. Check it out.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 8:07 am    

John, have you been playing on heavy carpet? The Emmons pedal has a open bottom. In heavy, thick carpet, connections, wires and the pot simply grind into the carpet. Who knows what is in a carpet? Make sure all connections where cords are plugged in are tight. Especially on the guitar, and the foot pedal.

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 8:44 am    

If you get the PSGA Newsletters, check out my troubleshooting articles (3 parts in the last three issues). One thing I've always stressed in troubleshooting is to isolate everything to the minimum and then start from there. e.g. just guitar and amp and one cord to start with and then start adding volume pedal, effects, etc one at a time.

Many times, when troubleshooting, the amp will get blamed for something external to the amp. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent troubleshooting non-existant problems in amps because it would be brought in and "so and so" is wrong or happening.

It's very easy to get something hooked backward and think there is a problem too. Speaking of volume pedals, I had a well known Nashville road picker bring an Emmons Volume Pedal in to have the "Myrick mod" added to it. I did the mod and checked it out to make sure everything was working properly. The guy picked up the pedal and about 2 hours later came back complaining that it didn't work right. He left very embarassed as it turned out he was hooking the volume pedal up backward! It happens to all of us.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 6:15 am    

I put a alumimum "Bottom plate" on my Volumne pedal.

Keeps out the dirt,dust and other particles that distroy a pot. At $25.00 a pop, I want a pot to last at least 3-5 years.

You would be suprised as to how much hum, noise,and other problems this also cured up too !!

Had a bad "HUM" problem when playing outside gigs for a number of years, Always thought it was my amp, grounding problem, or bad cords. Fixed the VC pedal and very seldom do I have any problems now.