The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help!!!
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 7:05 am    

I'm new at the pedal steel and have a question about what to do with my setup. I'm playing a Mullen S-12. I have it hooked to a Peavey amp that I got with the guitar. It needed a speaker so I went and bought a Radio Shack 15" for 40$. Now the problem. I am getting a really shrill high sound when I play. I am looking for a more mellower sound like John Hughey has, but this thing is really high and shrill. What can I do? Is it that I need a better quality of speaker or a different type of speaker? I tried changing the settings on the amp but nothing helped. Thanks in advance.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 7:46 am    

The speaker is the weak link. No matter what else you have, you have to have a good speaker. Radio Shack speakers are poor steel guitar (and poor musical instrument) speakers.
What kind of Peavey amp do you have?? Some of the Peavey guitar amps are not that good for steel either.

Your best bet (and may be cheaper in the long run) is to buy a steel guitar amp. The Peavey Nashville 400 is a very popular amp, but it's been discontinued, however, they come up on the used market quite frequently. There also Evans and Webb amps made for steel, but the Peavey's can be purchased for a lot less $$.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 1:50 pm    

Jack, as always thanks for your input.

Ken, I'll be glad to assist you with any Peavey product that you are interested in. I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391 should you wish to discuss steel gear.

The "RS" speaker is most likely the problem, but depending on what Peavey amp it is will also have a bearing on whether or not the amp is voiced for steel guitar. If your amp is not a Peavey Nashville, Session, Vegas, or LTD series amplifier, it is most likely a six string electric guitar amp.

Give me a call at your convenience and I'll be glad to assist.