The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did I buy the wrong Evans amp for steel ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 8:23 am    

I have an Evans G200 that I cant get a pleasing sound out of for my steel guitar. I have tried a variety of settings and it just doesnt seem to get beyond the muddy stage to me. I have a Fender Vibro-reverb (reissue) and I really do like the sound from it. I didnt go about buying the Evans the right way-I mail ordered it, and I should have tried it out first. Hindsight is 20=20. Are the other Evans amp models made specifically for the steel and do they sound better/different. I like the Fender for the guitar as well as the steel, so unless somebody has an idea of what I may be doing wrong, I will probably just sell the Evans. It is alot of money tied up just to be sitting in the corner of my room ! This may seem like a dumb post to you guys, but I am frustrated and dissappointed with myself at this point.

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 8:51 am    

Larry,

I'm in kind-of a similar position, but haven't bought an amp yet. There are a lot of possible choices out there regarding steel amplification (even separate amps and speaker cabinet combos), but one can't really know what'll work until one hears it. And one needs to hear it not only in a home practice situation, but in a band where the amp has to stand up to a mix of other live instruments. That's a tall order. If you live where you can't just go and demo an amp in such a way as that, what can you do? I may be getting the chance to audition a few amps (Nashville 400, Evans, Webb) pretty soon, and that would be great. But if you can't do something like that, it's tough, unless you happen to hit the nail on the head by getting recommendations and those recommendations also fit your own taste.

This thread may help.... http://www.b0b.com/forum/Forum11/HTML/000278.html

------------------
Bill * MSA Classic U12 * email * homepage

[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 28 May 2000 at 09:56 AM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 8:57 am    

Fellers - In my (albeit limited) experience, I'd have to say that you will probably go through many amps in your steel days, as you continually find (or THINK you find) 'something better'. Might as well go for it and not wait for the Holy Grail. That's what we have the B/S page for.

And Larry, I think there was a thread on the Evans G200 fairly recently. You might try a search.

Steve

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 12:18 pm    

I agree with Steve.

No matter what you get first, you'll eventually want to try something else. As far as price/value goes, I think the Nashville 400 is a good buy for a first steel amp. They can be had (modified or unmodified) for very reasonable prices ($325-$400 usually). I bought one a couple of years ago for $325 in like new condition and had it modified. Sounds very nice. (Now all I need is the Profex, the Hilton pedal, the...)

Even if I eventually get another steel amp, I will probably keep the Nashville.

I think there is one for sale on Buy and Sell right now...

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 12:39 pm    

Steve is approx. a half step ahead of me, I think--PV>Evans>MosValve--I'm verging on trying the MosValve. If I could figure what's next maybe I could get a jump on him and get there first.
My Evans is an FET 500 Custom and it has a GREAT sound but some days it is just too colored--not enough range of control. It's a ballsy amp and it's real warm and a bunch of other stuff you want but sometimes I feel like I'm looking for something more neutral.
I refuse to allow this to be an excuse to whine about my tone. Hey, when I'm on, the Peavey sounds great. The quest for tone is sort of hobby on the side. I've got a great sounding guitar and I've got hands that sometimes can do it, too. The rest is 'cause there's no fun being satisfied.
--
--

CARTER SD-12 7+7

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 28 May 2000 at 01:41 PM.]

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 5:53 pm    

Thanks guys. I guess the point is that my Zum sounds great thru my Fender, so why mess with the Evans. It is for sale if anyone wants it, I am completely sold on my Fender amp for the sound that I am looking for. considering my talent, or lack thereof, the Fender produces the best possible sound for me and has a wide range of tonal color. so why did I buy the evans ? I dunno !! A fool and his money are soon parted as they say.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 28 May 2000 7:19 pm    

Well guys, I just acquired a 1983 Evans model FET 500 Custom that I believe was made by Jim Evans himself. It was manufactered in Texarkana, Tx. and it has the sweetest sound I have ever heard. It is also in mint cond. I seem to hear more of my steel in the amp., than before. I have had in the past: Nashville 400's, Session 400 (late model) Session 500, Vegas 400, Renown (with the 15 BW). G.D. Walker Stereo Steel combo., Fender DeVille,Various pre-amp and power amp combos(including MosVale 500).....You get the point. ..The Evans that I got from Billy Tam is without a doubt the best. Period. For me anyway....Maybe you could try asking help on settings i.e. mid range setting. The Evans I have has a control labeled BODY....It is Fantastic...A very noticeable difference from the Peavey.. I still like Peavey, they are good, reliable workhorse amps. In fact PeeWee Charles is sending me a brand new Nashville 400. I wanted it just because they are out of production.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 7:38 pm    

Quote:
Steve is approx. a half step ahead of me, I think--PV>Evans>MosValve--I'm verging on trying the MosValve. If I could figure what's next maybe I could get a jump on him and get there first.

Well, sounds like you're gaining on me pretty quickly. Actually, you know it already: Tubeworks preamp, Jon. I also think the 80w MosValve will give you plenty of power - clean power with the preamp - and it can be miked if you need it. Hell, you could always sell it if it wasn't your bag. I'm a happy guy tone-wise, right now.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 28 May 2000 at 08:40 PM.]

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 May 2000 6:57 am    

Larry, I went to the Evans page and I can't find the G200 amp that you bought. Did they discontinue it? Maybe it was aimed more at the guitarists? Call Evans and maybe they can walk you out of your displeasure. I've had my LV500 for 18 years and I love it.

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2000 8:15 pm    

If you like the sound of the Fender, you will love the Evans 500 Fet. I would not part with mine, although I am always looking for better tone, have been for 35 years now, so I keep buying and trying. It has the presence and reverb tone for steel, that the Fenders all have for lead guitar. I didn't like the hard dry sound of all the old Peaveys, and I have never liked the Peavey Reverbs. I have not tried the Lemay Mod on a Peavey, but it probably takes care of the hard tone. The Reverb is still a problem however. My opinion only. A lot of great musicians love them.

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2000 8:47 pm    

P.S. The new Peavey 1000 is a great sounding amp, and it is a close call between it and the Evans. The Evans will cost a little more.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2000 6:51 am    

I wanted to comment on Mark Herrick's post concerning modifications. He states, "for very reasonable prices of $325-$400". Mark, we appreciate your support of our products, but don't you think that these dollar amounts for a modification is way overpriced? From the kits that I have seen, we are talking component swaps in an already designed circuit board, nothing in the way of "designing" a new circuit!

Please beware of this when you pay out your hard earned money. This has been the philosophy of Peavey Electronics since day one................."well designed and good sounding products for a reasonable cost".

We also offer a "tone enhancement" kit for the Peavey Nashville 400 which cost approximately $30.00 if you purchase the kit from the Peavey parts department, but if you wish for our service department to install the tone enhancement kit here at the factory, the cost is less than $55.00 plus incoming and outgoing freight.

For more information, call me toll free in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 May 2000 6:59 am    

Mike, you misread Mark's post. He said, " They can be had (modified or unmodified) for very reasonable prices ($325-$400 usually)." That would be the amp price, mod or not.

Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2000 9:53 am    

I played several brand name amps in a music store a few months ago. One was a new EVANS HIGH POWER AMP with a 15" spkr. TOOOOOO KOOOOOOOL. That amp was so warm, smooth, and quiet. And what a tone when I cracked open the throttle. I demoed the other amps in the room but I kept going back to that EVANS.
Me tinks me might have to get me one of those.

Mullen Red Lacquer
Mullen Blue Lacquer
Mullen Sunburst Lacquer
Webb 6-14 Starburst

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2000 6:33 pm    

Say Larry. What do you think about Mullen guitars?

Lee
(Mullen U-12)

dana Murphy

clarksburg wv usa
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2000 6:26 am    

is the diff betwin the se 150 & se200 worth the cost of $200? dana

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2000 7:30 am    

Dana, the SE-200HV has a much better speaker, plus the higher wattage = cleaner tone at higher volume levels. It's well worth the extra bucks if used professionally. As time passes,you'll forget the extra cost but enjoy the clean tone and power as long as you own the amp. Re-sale and trade-in value is also better.