The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Effects & Hookups
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2000 7:36 pm    

I have ALWAYS hooked my six stomp boxes (the BOSS BCB-6 in the grey carrying case) from the guitar, into volume pedal, out to effects in, (master power supply & other 5 daisy chained) to effects out (amp), into amp......typical set-up. Everything BUT my distortion works. This same setup works on other guitars. Now, if I hook things up from steel out, to effects in, to effects out, to volume pedal in, to volume out into amp, the distortion works. In other words, the volume pedal after effects. What has changed?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 May 2000 2:22 am    

Sounds like the volume pedal is cutting the signal down to the point it's not enough for the distortion unit or the distortion unit needs to be adjusted for the lower level.

Check the volume pedal to make sure something hasn't slipped inside and not allowing the pot to open up properly.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2000 5:32 am    

Distortion should always be before the volume pedal. The amount of distortion is directly related to the amount of signal, which is strongest right out of the guitar. Just go from guitar->effects->volume pedal->amp and you'll be fine.

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 29 May 2000 6:17 am    

Jack, I've tried 3 different volume pedals hooked up the first way...steel>vol>fx>amp and have recieved the same results, does not work with my ProIII but does with SuperPro & others.Jim, hooked up the way you indicated ALL guitars work but I have not personally liked the effects B/4 the volume pedal. Could never get used to it. Could it be something with the pickup on ProIII, sounds good with the other effects or by itself just not the distortion?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2000 6:48 am    

Your problem is that you don't have a strong enough signal feeding the fuzz. Since you don't like your effects before the volume pedal, you have three alternatives.
1) Turn down your amp so you run your volume pedal closer to full volume.
2) Turn down the fuzz volume so you'll have to run your volume pedal closer to full volume just when using the fuzz.
3) Put just the fuzz before your volume pedal.

Kevin Mincke

Post  Posted 29 May 2000 7:40 pm    

Yep...I'll have to put the effects before the volume pedal then everything works fine. Still makes me wonder what changed on the ProIII when my SuperPro & others are fine.
At any rate it works great!