The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mesa 50-50 and the Peavey TubeFex
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2000 9:36 am    

I just got a Mesa/Boogie Fifty-Fifty power amp. Great sound - I really love 6L6 output tubes.

I've connected this to a TubeFex and I've noticed a gew things. First, the TubeFex noise-gate adds some digital noise of its own Yuck! I didn't notice it much with the old Crown power amp, but with the Boogie 50-50 you can really hear it. I'm removing the NG from my patches.

So now the reason I needed the noise gate is a lot more apparent. The TubeFex preamp tube sounds like "scrambled eggs". Is this normal? It's a lot noisier than any other 12AX7-based preamp I've played through.

Should I replace the tube in the TubeFex? If so, where can I get a nice, quiet 12AX7?

------------------
Bobby Lee quasar@b0b.com gigs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2000 2:35 pm    

Hello Bobby,
The first thing that I would do is to try a preset that does not have the "TB" parameter. If the noise ceases, it's your preamp tube. There are two 12AX7's in the front that can be accessed by removing the metal top cover. You can order factory tubes direct from us by calling 1-877-732-8391, which is toll free. Thanks for using Peavey products.

The "scrambled eggs" sound is not normal, and with proper noise gate parameter adjustments, the noise can be at a minimum.
I'll be here in the office tomorrow after 8AM and I will leave for an out of town trip at 12:00 CST. I look forward to assisting you.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 2 May 2000 3:28 pm    

Hi bOb:
Not all 12AX7a preamp tubes are alike! If you can get some NOS or "new old stock" 12AX7a preamp tubes by GE they will last forever in a Tubefex and be very quiet. The next best thing and very available is the Sovtek WA or WB or WXT series in the 12AX7a preamp tube. If you want to experiment, you can use a 12AT7 that is 70% of the gain of a 12AX7a or a 12AU7 that is 40% of the gain of a 12AX7a.
Len Amaral

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 4:21 am    

b0b,
Welcome to the world of pre-amps !
After much searching I have found that my 70's Alembic F2-B sounds muy bueno with no fx at all when used with a great tube power amp. When I use this system it really shows the weaknesses in most all multi fx gizmos.
Lots of great pre amps out there. I suggest something dedicated and simple.

Bob

------------------
Franklin D-10

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 5:08 am    

We use Sovtek tubes and that probably is what is in that Tubefex, if they are originals.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 5:39 am    

I've gotta agree with you Bob (not -b0b-). I got a Tubeworks preamp recently that sounds so sweet, clean, and musical, I can't believe it. Ended up A/Bing it extensively with 2 other very popular preamps, and it won hands down for many reasons. I love that thing.
Steve

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 11:46 am    

Well, I really need effects like distortion, reverb, delay and Leslie. A simple preamp is attractive, but for this application the TubeFex seems to have it all. I just need to clean up the clean sound somehow.

------------------
Bobby Lee quasar@b0b.com gigs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 3:03 pm    

b0b, have you tried the noise gate parameters I have on my listing?? I don't notice any additional noise from the the noise gate and it quiets down the TT Fex quite a bit - and doesn't seem to affect the sustain of the guitar. (I have my global parameters, Input=100, EQ at 0, and Output = 90).

I have a Transtube Fex, but other than the tube/transistor preamp, the rest is basically the same.

One other thing, I noticed, the TT Fex with a Nashville 400 or Session 400 power - using the power amp input, the noise level was higher than with the MosValve 500 power amp. You have the S/N ratio of the TT Fex (or TubeFex) unit and then the S/N ratio of the power amplifier. The two together could produce a undesireable S/N ratio (even tho both are within specs).

http://home.earthlink.net/~jestoner