The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice about an Evans amp
dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 4:33 pm    

I've got an Evans FET500 LV,it's an older amp.
My problem is that every time I turn it on the amp blows the fuse,any ideas would be appreciated and thanks alot for any help.

------------------
Dan Layne

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 5:41 am    

Gee, mine won't blow because of all the tin foil around it!
Seriously though, it sounds like a bad transformer. Look and see is the power plug in good shape where it plugs in the wall. Maybe it's something simple like that. Someone could have stepped on the cord or snatched it from the wall and got the ground wire against the hot wire. (OUCH)

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 8:33 am    

Dan - When you say the amp blows the fuse, are you talking about the internal fuse in the amp, or the fuse/breaker for the electrical outlet you plugged the amp in to?

Lee, from South Texas

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 11:28 am    

Lee and Steve,
It's the fuse that screws in right by the power to outlet cord,the fuse is not internal it's right in the back,and thanks for the help I really need it since I no longer have a backup amp.

------------------
Dan Layne

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 5:14 am    

There's a multitude of reasons for the fuse to blow. The only option you have is to take it to a repair shop. It could be anything, from a bad power transformer to a shorted output transistor, bad speaker, blown power supply component, etc. There's no way of knowing without taking it out of the case and troubleshooting the unit.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 6:57 am    

I had a similar problem with my 95 Evans FET-500, blowing fuses due to a bad resistor. Send the amp back to Evans for repair.

Another thing: Possible speaker damage. When my resistor went bad and the fuse blew, it sent 50 volts into my speaker and that had to be reconed as well. So you might want to put a multi-tester on your speaker terminals. If it shows that the speaker is open, you'll need a recone.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 12:57 pm    

Thanks guys for your advice and comments,think I'll send it to a repair shop and Herb I'll also check out my speaker.

------------------
Dan Layne

JOZEF SMITH

WESTMINSTER - CA - USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 11:11 pm    

Hi Dan,
I had this problem with my Evans also and I was told that there was a short. They repaired the Pre and Power amp. It costed me $115.- It is doing fine now. When it happened I thought that I blew my speaker also, but it checked OKE.
Regards,
Joe.

Karl Nutt

Fayette City, PA U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2000 1:24 am    

I just got home from a Friday nite gig. My Evans FET 500 LV was REALLY sounding good. I heard a loud "crack" from the amp (like when the power cord gets knocked out)and turned around to see that the pilot light was out. I reached around to check the switch and BLISTERED my finger on the chassis!!! I've never even done THAT with my Twin Reverb! Needless to say, the fuse was blown as well. Of course I tried another fuse and blew it as well. Fortunately my sister was at the job and was able to drive to my house (40 mile round trip) to pick up my old Sho Bud Compactra Custom. I used it to play the last two sets. To my surprise, the Sho Bud amp worked very well (not as under powered as I had expected). Anyway, my Evans needs a trip to the doctor now. First time I've ever had any trouble with it in 14 years of continuous use, so I guess I can't complain... my wife will take care of THAT!!!