The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavy Session 400 rebuild
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 5:58 pm    

Just my luck , my Session 400 crapped out today. I was playing low volume & it sounded like it got thummped.
Does Peavey do rebuilds or repairs ? or should I haul it over to a local repair shop .

------------------
Bo Borland
All my gear is "vintage" now.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 2:43 am    

Depends on whether you have a local repair shop that can really fix it. Peavey has their own "factory" repair shop that you can ship it to if you're not comfortable having a local shop fix it.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 5:38 am    

Jack is correct. We still receive amplifiers in our service department that are 30 years and older, and they are still being used on stages! We do repair amps. Who is better to repair than the people who built the amp and our factory representatives? Right now, we are on top of repairs and can turn them around fairly quickly. The most time spent right now would most likely be in transportation to and from you. The shipping address is:

Peavey Service Center
Hwy. 80East
Meridian, MS 39301

Here at Peavey, we see the service department as a "service" to our customers, and not where our income is generated, so I think that you'll be pleasantly suprised at how reasonable our rates are.

The payment method(if the product is out of warranty) is by credit card or COD(or cash if you pay in person at the factory). Let us know if we can help you with your Peavey product.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 9:48 am    

Bo..
To follow up on Mike's post...I sent my 1976 session 400 to the factory for repair last fall. They went through the whole amp and replaced components that showed signs of weakness. The amp is quiet and sounds like it did when it was new. And all for a very reasonable price. And Quick service
Dennis

albert johnson

tallahassee,florida usa
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2000 3:25 am    

Bo, By all means send your amp to Peavey for the repairs,you will not be disappointed.they have repaired several amps for me and they come back sounding just like new and the charges are very reasonable. Albert Johnson

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2000 11:20 pm    

I used to get my amp repair done locally. After having to have them repaired repetedly and by different recommended shops I took a suggestion and started sending them back to Peavey. I found the repairs cost less to have them done by them and I found that after an amp was repaired by them I quit having additional repairs on the same amp! I once had two Session 400's that from day one sounded completely different from each other. One at a time I sent them back to the factory and found that not only did they work better than ever, they also sounded "identical". I found that what ever I used for settings on one amp would also work the same for the other. They worked great , I didn't need to send them back for periodical repairs, and was out a whole lot less money than what I had been paying for in the past.
The road can be hard on an amp, and even dragging them around locally, in and out of the car playing in different places, can be hard on them, so occasionally you may need a repair. It has been my experience that sending them back to the factory has been far more productive as well as cheaper! I know of some places that charge forty dollars an hour bench time. This can add up quick if the repair turns out to be difficult to find.
I know it is a hassle to have to send them and all that, but it is worth it to me.
Who better would know how to work on a Peavey than Peavey themselves!

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 6:16 am    

Thanks guys! We pride ourselves as being #1 in Customer Service in the musical instrument industry. As always, I can be reached here at the factory by calling 1-877-732-8391. Keep on pickin'!

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 6:35 am    

Thanks neighbors, & Mike Brown , for the input.
I have decided to send my Session 400 back to its place of birth this week.
I am confident that the good folks at Peavey Electronics will find & repair the problem with less hassle than anyone else.

------------------
Bo Borland
All my gear is "vintage" now.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 6:40 am    

Check out what our customers say about our Service Department on the ELECTRONICS section under "Session 400 Rebuild". Thanks again.