The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Micing Up A Steel Guitar Amp
Mark Amundson

Cambridge, MN USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 5:49 am    

Question: For those of you who get the luxury of getting their amps mic'ed up, what mic types do you use (or provided) and what part of the loudspeaker cone is the mic focused at?

I am guessing that most players get a Shure SM-57 that is either draped over the amp (looped through the handle) or a different or more precise arrangement.

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 6:41 am    

You can't go wrong with a 57. Unless you drape it over the handle. 57 are uni directional and need to face the sound to produce accurate sounds. (a 58 would be better to drape) Get a small stand!

I never point the mic at the center of the cone or cap. I point it about a inch or two onto the cone from the center cap. I prefer a 90 degree angle from the cabinet front. In other words right in front of the speaker. Some guys do point it on a 30 or so degree angle to match the slant of the cone. I don't like this sound my self.

Hope this helps.

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 7:08 am    

I use an AKG C3000 large diaphram condencer mike that I bought to record vocals in my digital hame studio. I use a Nashville 400. I use a stand that tilts the amp back and raises it about a foot off the ground and points it at my right ear. I can reach my controls without moving. I have used the same setup with a Fender Vibrosonic with JBL or Black Widow speaker. The mike has the diaphram on the side and hangs from the handle. I position it so that it is on the cone right at the edge of the dust cover on the lower half of the speaker to keep it a little farther from the transformer in the amp. Works great and the sound is not colored by the mike. I was useing a Shure SM57 before and still do for guitar, they work good too. Hope I have helped more that confused you.

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 8:26 am    

Larry thats a great mic. How is it for road worthness?

In the studio I have been using a CAD E-200 condensor, but even though CAD says its road worthy, I'm not sure I would take it out of the studio.

Joe

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 11:49 am    

Joe, the C3000 is supposed to be tough enough for the road. It has internal shock mount. I know the AKG ND series mikes have spring steel windscreens that pop back into place. I try to be easy on my equipment any way, but I have not had any trouble and I have been using it for a year or two. I brought a friends Rode NT-1 over and done a session with it and it sounded dull and lifeless compared to the C3000, and it didn't have the quality.

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 11:52 am    

Larry, is that phantom powered or battery or both?

One thing about condensors on stage is you could even break-wind with out it picking up the sound. LOL

Joe

Jerry Miler

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 7:55 pm    

As Larry said The CAD is a GREAT mic for steel as well as the AKG I like the CAD personaly myself....try this put a CAD or a AKG in front about where you said you put it but you might want to consider about finding the "sweet spot" some ampd are diffrent then get a "57" and mic the back of the amp in about the same way and reverse the phase and see what you get I think you will like the outcome (keep in mind that you have to move them around and get the sweet spot for it sound really good).
Jerry

Jerry Miler

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 7:58 pm    

Try this put a CAD or a AKG in front find the sweet spot and then get a "57" and mic the back of the amp (find the sweet spot) and reverse the phase I think you will like the outcome.
Jerry

Jerry Miler

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 7:59 pm    

sorry thought it didn't take.
Jerry

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 8:48 pm    

Joe the C3000 is phantom powered. It does not have a battery. Hi Jerry, I have never tried the CAD on steel, which one do you use? I use mine live and to record. I got my Williams U12 2 week ago. I told your dad to tell you. Are you going to the steel jam in New Lex saturday? If so I'll se you there.

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 9:31 pm    

Mark, mic placement is so important. You gotta know where the sweet spot is on your amp, especially if using a highly directional mic such as an SM57. And if you are working venues where they use a sound company, some of these guys don't seem to know very much about proper mic placement as it relates to the tone of the steel so you need to be aware. Incidentally I have heard some super tone come from some ordinary mics when everything was right, even sometimes when the sound onstage was not all that good.