The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Printed Circuit Boards
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 3:43 pm    

I'm getting tired of doing my own IC--PC boards. Anyone know a company doing boards that they would recommend?
I have thought about buying a really small CNC milling machine. A guy I know has one for sale, for around $5,000.00 used. The CNC would cut all the spaces between the traces. Then with about 3 more tool changes drill all the holes. Has anyone ever used a CNC milling machine for this purpose?
Seems to me a CNC machine would be great. It is really slow and nasty etching. It is really slow if you use jigs and stack drill.

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 02 April 2000 at 04:56 PM.]

DON ENGLE

INDPLS IN USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2000 5:00 pm    

Hi Keith check your email for info

------------------

Randy Reimer

Ardrossan, AB
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2000 1:53 pm    

Give david parker a email -

Sherline(?) has a small mill available and there is a cnc version for around 1200.00

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2000 9:05 pm    

There is a large printed wiring board industry based around Tempe, Arizona. We used to get our (ITT Western Projects Office) prototype, one-off, and small-production boards made there. The quality was excellent and pricing better than we could do it for.
Our company later invested several hundred grand in PWB tooling & process equipment, training, staffing, etc., only to see it all go down the crapper in a short time, due to "enviornmental" issues.
I don't have the name of a particular company to recommend, but I think most manufacturers out-source their boards, so finding a good one shouldn't be too hard.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 10:56 am    

Hello Rich. Most of the companies doing boards want you to submit what is known as "GERBER" files. If you don't have the programs to do "GERBER" files, you have to pay someone to do them. In my case one company offered to do the files for $150.00. Believe it or not, I located a stock board that is working out pretty good.
Maybe for the time being I am going to keep everything "STOCK". It only involves about 10 to 12 jumpers I have to do extra. Who knows, if I get a lot of boards made something might change. I've been hung with stuff like that before. I really appreciate and value all you guy's advise. You and Mark A. have really been good friends. Keith Hilton

------------------