The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tube Works Real Tube pedal
Larry Hendrickson

New Glarus, WI
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 3:34 pm    

Will one of these stompboxes work very well with a Nashville 400 w/Peavey Mod. I am looking for a warmer tube sound. Thanks, Larry

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 5:46 pm    

I haven't tried it with a steel. I have used it with my regular guitar though. I'm assuming we're talking about the AC powered non-wall wart version with Vol-Gain-Bass-Mid-Treble.

It may work OK if you keep the gain low. I think it was probably designed as more of a distortion/overdrive box than as a clean preamp.

I switched out the 12AX7 it came with and use a lower gain 12AU7 tube. I found that it got too "raspy" sounding at high gain settings, and the 12AU7 works better for my tastes. It still has more than enough gain for distorted rock guitar, but I was also looking for a more "transparent" sound. Even though I usually use whatever tubes I can get my hands on (I'm cheap), I have been told by a couple of other guys that have them that the tube you use will make a noticeable difference.

Another added bonus is that if you put it between the guitar and volume pedal, it will act as a buffer and not load the guitar down.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2000 2:42 pm    

Larry, that company's "Blue Tube" was designed for the effect you seek, having lower gain and a bit more intrinsic tonal quality. The "Real Tube"'s forte is more in its ability to dial in a pleasing distortion sound (in most cases, but this depends on instrument/amp interactions as well.
The internal tube characteristics of these particular units will indeed influence its sound, especially so in that these units operate at a plate voltage of only around 12 volts DC. My best results were with an ancient Telefunken 12AX7 from a junked Telefunken console I found discarded in an alley, the worst with a new Groove Tubes 7025.
"ART" makes a small inexpensive tube preamp that does this task well, but IMHO a Peavey Valverb (Reverb Off if you desire) would do it best. The Valverb's tubes operate with a no-signal plate voltage of just under 400 V DC.
If you are inclined to building electronics,
there's lots of good stuff on the web to try out. Here's a few places to look:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22guitar+preamps%22&num=100&sa=Google+Search