The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transfex Pro 212
D Jenkins

England
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2000 12:21 am    

Small complication....Peavey are not allowed by European Law to sell any of their steel amps into the the European Union. This is a world without Nashvilles, Sessions end the like. The alternative that has been suggested to me is to go for a Peavey Transfex Pro 212, which has a computer based card wihich has been programmed for some steel guitar sounds. Or alternatively I'm back to the Fender Twin idea. I suppose I could nip over to the USA....

If I went for the twin, I would be interested to know what-apart from a volume pedal and some leads(!)- I should put between the guitar and amp to get that slow lonesomey ballad-E9thy sound- a la Patty Loveless

Any thoughts on this conundrum?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2000 11:45 am    

An alternative is to purchase a used Nashville 400 (or whatever you want) from someone here in the states that will ship it overseas to you.

I thought Peavey had a plant and a sales office in the UK??? If one model Peavey amp is sold there, other models should be too. The biggest limitation on export (from the US) is whether a unit will accept the mains voltage of the country it's being shipped to.

D Jenkins

England
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 12:43 pm    

Thanks for the reply, Jack. Peavey do have a UK office but there's some technical reasons- part electronics, part legislation- that mean that Peavey don't sell their steel amps here (sadly the market' a bit small!) I'm working on the assumption that getting one shipped from the states will cost me a small fortune, and besides, I want to hear before I buy, ideally. So still very eager to hear any views on the other alternatives I have benn told about...

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 1:48 pm    

There is also a pretty hefty fee for safety certification into foreign countries(and this means info each individual country). Unfortunately, our research indicates that outside the U.S., steelers are few and far between versus population.

We would like nothing more than to sell steelers a Peavey amp.

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 10:04 am    

DJ,

Hey don't let these guys fool ya. The Fender is a great amp for steel/guitar combo. A peavy steel amp would be great for just steel but the twin would be best of both worlds. One reason more steelers don't use twins is cause you can't find them. And those who have them won't give them up. All the others are owned by us guitar players. Peavy may make somthing that works great in both worlds, but the steel amps ain't it. They are steel amps.

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 10:06 am    

I would start with the volume pedal and a nice FX box. Even a stomp box like a boss CE-3 chorus or thier digital delay. The rest is in the playing and the amp settings.

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 9:15 am    

how bout a peavey reknown 400 and putting in a 15 inch speaker or some other low distortion amp. at least in the USA we can still get old brit motorcycles (3 Triumphs and 2 Emmons push pulls, turning wrenches (spanners) all the time and wouldn't change a bit, tone, tone, tone, tone, guitar and the bikes)!