The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich model 7a matchbox
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 7:04 am    

Is it true that the goodrich matchbox ,improves tone ,cuts the highs and ,greatly improves sustain.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 7:29 am    

No, I believe you would need what Buddy E described as 'four fingers of Crown Royal' for that.

All seriousness aside, the matchbox (aka 'Buffer Amp') -- whether made by Goodrich, Hilton, or whoever -- will help resolve a problem that arises when you introduces a (potentiometer) volume pedal in your signal chain. Ever notice that your tone is different when your volume pedal is 1/4 open versus wide open? That's the symptom a match box will improve. You may also find that your high mids and high end in general are a bit cleaner. It may improve sustain, but I would doubt it would 'greatly' improve. I wouldn't say that it cuts the highs, although some models include a control that acts like a tone control.

Bottom line: try one before you buy it. Another personal preference issue. I always use one, but many other players don't.

LTB

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 10:04 am    

You would probably find that it adds highs rather than cutting them. Your guitar would probably sound brighter if you used a Match Box.

To be more accurate about it: your system of cables and volume pedal will cut the highs if you DON'T use a buffer amp such as Match Box.

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 12:28 pm    

I have a Goodrich 7a and agree with the previous posts completely.

One thing I'd add, is that it does not improve sustain in my opinion - that's either in your guitar and style or not. I don't know whether Keith's box affects sustain or not.

The 7a is nice to have for the reasons alrady mentioned; also if you have a double-neck, you may find the tone control useful for tweaking your sound when you switch back and forth from E9th to C6th.