The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? 4 Roland VS-880 users
Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 6:08 pm    

Sorry for the basic question but computers are not my strongest suit. I know that this was an earlier topic and several people are using these.

I recently purchased this unit and have worked out the basic points for recording and mixing it to tape. My question is can you mix it to a cd? Apparently you can mix it to cd to be downloaded back to the Roland unit for later editing, but how do you get it to a cd which will work on your basic audio players? Can you download it to your PC and then burn it on a CD from that?

Thanks!

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 10:46 pm    

Bill,

I don't own the Roland unit but I now they sell a cd burner that you can attach directly to the VS880. But the alternitive is to dump it into the computer and then master to CD. I don't believe, that once its burned to cd, you can edit any of the tracks.

I'm sure someone will know the details.

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 2:24 pm    

I figured it out. This is really a nice unit. Joe, thanks for the reply.

Bob Markison

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 7:46 pm    

Bill - I have had my VS 880Ex for a wonderful 2 months - great machine with a poor users manual. Get over to this bulletin board without delay - great people and great info.:http://www.vsplanet.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=VS-880%28EX%29+Group&number=6&DaysPrune=60&SUBMIT=Go. I use my VS with a Philips stand alone CRD 880 CD burner because I often burn various demos quickly and in short focussed runs. The transfer is digital most of the time but you can also go out of the master outs of the VS with good quality. Have a ball! - Bob M

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 10:50 pm    

Bob,

Thanks for the input. I'm stumbling along but I'm slowwing figuring this thing out.

Take care!

Bob Markison

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2000 10:02 am    

Bill - You are welcome - one more thing: Call Roland and order the Video users manual - much more complete than the turbostart video included with the VS. Have fun. - Bob

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2000 7:33 pm    

I run my stereo mix from the VS-880 into the audio inputs of the sound card in my computer, and just record into a WAV file in real time. Then I do the final mastering on the computer and burn the CD there.

I know it's not the cleanest way, but it works. That's how I did the Diatonic Adventures CD. The Roland also has a digital output that I assume would give better results, but my sound card doesn't have a digital input.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2000 7:39 pm    

www.vsplanet.com has a lot of great info. The link for the discussion group is on the home page at the bottom where it says Users BBS. It uses the same UBB software that we use here, so you should feel right at home.

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 8:33 am    

Bob,

Thanks for the additional information. That is a good sight.