The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Computer problems.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 7:35 am    

I have a NEC Ready 9701SE, P166 with 48 Megs of Ram and a 2.0 hard drive. For about a year now, I've been getting a lot of GPF's and illegal operations, mostly to do with "Comm95.drv". It's got so serious and my detective work so incomplete, including friends, Microsoft site, etc. that I've had to reformat the hard drive and reboot about 10 times. I'm sick of it. I've been using the NEC windows '95 OEM software and I'm thinking that's where the problems are coming from. When I install Word 7, I'll get a "Close or Ignore" prompt, close it, then reopen and it works fine. Microsoft doesn't seem to have anything on it's help sites to guide me. Any suggestions?

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 9:16 am    

Mr. Lacey, it's time to face the notion, that you need to give up the ghost, and Up Grade.

I know it's a little pricey, but that's the answer to your problem.

Windows 95 tends to be a little unstable, and prone to crashes.
I hate to have to reformat my machine, and like you, I was doing it regulrly. In fact so regularly that it was a joke with my neighbors.
So I too gave it up, and got a new confuser.
It's not the biggest,fastest, or the cutest, but I do have 8 gig of space, and running at 500mhz. Works great, and it didn't break the bank. (Well almost didn't break the bank. My wife still can't say the word computer with out giving me a "go to hell" look, and picking up something to throw. *LOL* )

Good Luck.

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 9:33 am    

There are several MS bug-fixes/upgrades for the original Win95 -- have you installed any?

Try RE-INSTALLING windows with the original CDROM. You should be able to do this without losing any current application installation or settings.

I can probably send you a CDROM and upgrades.
If you need help, drop me an email -- Ev

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 10:46 am    

Hey John,
Here's a fairly simple way to install the new drive IF you don't have software to do it for you. This involves setting 'jumpers' on the drive(s) and swapping drive cables.

Go to the following URL for a step-by-step.

http://www.pcmech.com/file_transfer.htm

This site has a wealth of info! go to their home page and click on the 'guides' tab.

[This message was edited by Everett Cox on 21 February 2000 at 10:47 AM.]

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 9:49 pm    

C Allen, I can't afford to upgrade, as I just came through one of the worst financial winters of my professional career, virtually no gigs. I just want a simple operating system on my computer that doesn't throw off GPF's and error messages all the time. Maybe I'm asking for too much from Microsoft. I have rebooted constantly from my OEM disk that came with the computer. Maybe that's the problem.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 11:18 pm    

I've never seen "comm95.drv", is it an NEC software item? GPF's and "Illegal Ops" are ram memory related in general, could be a simm going south or bad connection. You could re-seat the simm's.
Have you run Scandisk-extended tests from the COh Well> prompt to eliminate the HDD as the problem? It can repair many types of disk
problems.
You say you've done many HDD re-formats? An undocumented command in "FDISK" is fdisk/mbr to clear the master boot record, sometimes a pesky bugger unless cleared.
On the next HDD fdisk/format session you try, type fdisk/mbr, enter, then fdisk again, take the time to read & contemplate all the messages and execute the fdisk steps properly, including the "enabling large disk support" (or whatever the syntax is for enabling FAT-32)and by all means, try another copy of the Windows CD, (95-B only, Not "A"); they've made lots of flaky editions, particularly OEM versions.
Be sure your system bios settings reflect your hardware also, improper setup here could cause conflicts.
If you truly suspect the hard drive, check the manufacturer's website support page for available diagnostics/fixes.
These are just a few things that have helped me repair about 25 of 26 machines, and # 26 was a Packard Smell that just flat-@ss refused to play ball.
BTW, if your 48Mbytes of ram & 2Gbyte HDD are good, that PC should run W98SE no problem, and it's been error free on this machine since Sept.15,1999 when I built it & loaded software. It's been so solid it's almost scary! You also get much more up to date drivers with it.
>
Check this website for great Windows help:
>
http://www.annoyances.org/
>
Best,& Good Luck, R.P.
><

Robert Graham

Calgary, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 12:21 pm    

Hey John, I live in Calgary and would be happy to help you with any computer problems you might be having. I'm a programming major who is very interested in playing the steel. If you need a clean install of Windows '98, or any other software, either my wife or myself can help you out. Call me at (403)235-4191. Or e-mail me.