The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need a N'ville 400 Nerd Help
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 10:42 am    

I posted this previously, but I think it was lost in the crash.
I play my steel through the N'ville 400 and my guitar I run through a POD, then to the preamp out put of the 400. By physically plugging the 1/4" jack into the preamp out, this overrides all of the front end controls of the amp, and the POD becomes my front end, which is what I want. My question is, how can I rig a switch in the amp or footswitch to keep me from having to reach behind the amp and physically plug and unplug the 1/4" when I switch to guitar?
I know Bill Terry is a Peavey nerd.
Help Bill.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 12:17 pm    

Hey Chris,
I think Jack answered your question but it went away when 'the Bomb Came Down'. I believe what you mean is that you plug the output of the POD into the 'Power Amp In' jack on the Nash, which basically disconnects the front panel pre-amp where you have the 'kitchen cabinet' plugged in. Right?

I looked at the schematic when you posted the original question and it should be pretty simple to have a tech modify the circuit and add some sort of switch so both instruments stay plugged in all the time. If you don't use the reverb switch you could probably wire a switch to use that jack.

BTW, I resent the use of 'Peavey Nerd', just plain 'Nerd' I can't deny. You gonna be in Dallas? I'm planning to show up, maybe I'll catch up with you there? Let's drink about a twelve pack and then fix your amp....

BT

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 1:55 pm    

Kichen cabinet? That's funny. I thought it looked like one of those 70's Sony radios. When are you in Dallas? Let me know. I don't know if we can fix the amp, but the beer.......................................................................OK

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 1:56 pm    

I haven't seen the schematics on this but i'm pretty sure the input jack to the power amp is a multi contact jack. As you plug the cord in it breaks the contact from the preamp. To replace it with a swich would be easy, and could be routed to the fron panel as well. The only problem would be you would need to turn the power amps volume down while flipping the switch. Or you'll get some nasty pops. You may want to look into some type of FET cicuitry for a soft switch approach.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 2:52 pm    

Hey Bill; "I heard that"!!!
Hey Chris how ya been pal? I'm gunna be there in Dallas for the convention too; lets get together for a drink or two. I'll watch you while you drink the good stuff and I'll sit there with my coffee like I do.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 3:46 pm    

Maybe we could go somewhere and heckle Carp???

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:15 pm    

Well I'm playing both nights up there in Dallas with Ed Burleson; so I won't be able to heckle the Carp; but I'm sure ya'll can do a pretty good job of it. I got a suite there at the Harvey; so the party is in my room BTW.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 10 February 2000 at 07:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 10 February 2000 at 07:16 PM.]

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 7:06 am    

Wow, a chance to heckle both you guys in the same weekend.... You gonna have open bar???

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 11:55 pm    

Yeah Bill there is a Bar in my room; but ya better hurry before Archie Drinks it all. Of course I'll drink all the coffee
Ok b0b we are taking up space here>we're done!!!
Ricky