The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss RV-3 worth buying?
Larry Hendrickson

New Glarus, WI
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2000 6:32 pm    

I have to buy a new delay unit and I was wondering if many of you use the Boss RV-3. I've been using an Ibanez stomp box delay that has worked fine for 10 years but now it's starting to distort at higher volume. I use it with a Nash 400 w/mod or a Session 500. Or is there another stomp type delay/reverb unit that I should look at? Larry

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2000 10:46 pm    

I have an RV=3 but I have to say I liked my old DD-3 better. I had more luck consistently finding a sound I liked on the DD3. But I know other guys who really like the RV-3. Maybe some of them will add to this thread.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 7:01 am    

for years i've used an ibanez digital modulation/delay stompbox and a boss rv2
digital reverb which amounts to basicly the same thing...very good clean sound........also use a cool ibanez 'fat cat' distortion stompbox which is very warm and controllable!

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 8:36 am    

The delay on the RV-3 is fine, but the decay
on the reverb isn't the smoothest. If you
set it for a large room, let's say...then
hit a note or a chord & listen to the reverb
sound as it trails off...it kind of pulsates
a bit. In a live situation though, it's
definitely passable. I'd try some other
stuff before you plunk down your $$$.
----------------------

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 9:06 am    

a few months ago I was at Bobby Seymours tring out some steels and Pat Seavers came in and we spent a few hours comparing guitars. We were using a old session 400 and a rv-3 I think a newer one that Bob had in there and it sounded great. Pat told me he had some really expensive stuff including a eventide and the reverb in the rv-3 was as good as anything he had. A lot of it is knowing how to adjust it but the sound is there. If you just want reverb it is great

------------------

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 9:10 am    

continued if your after delay try the boss dd-5 it sounds fantastic but if you buy both of those pedals you spending close to enough to but one of their new rack of floor units. I tried a gt-3 I loved it and it can be bought for about 350 same reverb and delay plus a lot of distorion and the amp simulators are great. I would try a gt-3 or if you want a rack unit the vf-1 this stuff is hard to beat for the money

------------------

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 12:44 pm    

Larry--if this question is still of interest to you, I am satisfied with my RV-3 for reverb although I have noticed some harmonic distortion at times. Subtle but it does seem to add some coloration. I have never worked with delay so the delay settings are still new to me and I haven't yet found anything I like there--I just may not like delay. One caution--the combination reverb/delay settings are not very independant or versatile. You pretty much have to have low expectations of what you can adjust. But just as a reverb alone or a delay alone, there is plenty of control.

Larry Hendrickson

New Glarus, WI
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2000 7:14 pm    

Thanks for all the replys. I bought an RV-3 on EBAY so I am going to have to use it. If I don't like it I'll just put it up for sale again. I like just a little delay to fill out the sound. But I'll experiment with it and see if the old Emmons can sound any better. Thanks again, Larry

------------------

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 9:21 am    

My main RV-3 setting is the highest reverb+delay setting (Number 7 or 8?... I'm not looking at it right now.). The 1st knob (effect level) at the 8 o'clock position (very subtle), and as high as 9 o'clock for ballads (never higher than 9 o'clock).
Feedback is always fully counter-clockwise (zero feedback). Deley time is set at the 10 o'clock position and as high as the 11 o'clock position for ballads. I use these settings regularly and I like them alot. I go stereo at home and I used to go stereo on stage but it was too much stuff to lug around so I just use the mono out of the RV-3 to a Fender Twin. I bought it so I wouldn't have to check another case (for rackmounts) on trips. Now I use it exclusively as it is really convenient, IMHO.