The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker cables
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 5:30 am    

OK, I can't believe I just found this out. For those of you who use a preamp/power amp to seperate speakers (such as a ProFex/DPC750 and 112E's), you're not supposed to use guitar cords to connect the speakers to the amp.
I "knew" this, but never bothered to use speaker cables, but have always been disappointed by a seemingly lack of top volume.
Yesterday I changed to heavy duty speaker cables and wow! here's my volume back!
I guess the small audio wire in the middle of a guitar cord is not meant to handle the heavy (350) wattage that these power amps can deliver.

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 9:33 am    

This is an interesting bit of information. I wonder what Mike Brown and the Peavey folks have to say about this and what they recommend. Hey Mike, what kind of cables are you using?

Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 9:53 am    

Tony
The heavier the cables from your amp to speakers the better. A good friend and soundperson
pointed this out to me years ago and I have always used the heaviest cables I could use for speakers . I would use jumper cables if I could get them hooked up Its all a matter of resistence in cable wire .
Also I have used George-Ls cables for all my line level signals from Profex to Amp & really noticed the difference
Rick

------------------
www.greenapple.com/~ace1
Forum Scrapbook Members Pictures