The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Re: Peavey Musician Mark III amp
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 6:36 pm    

Does anyone know how similar is it to the Session/Nashville/LTD series as they're all "400" series amps, the Musician being a "400GH". This is an amp head with two channels, 4 inputs, 5-band EQ and a cool phase shifter built in. The power outputs seem to be the same as well (210 watts). I spoke to someone in the the plant in Meridian, who said they weren't all that similar in design but would sound similar, if hooked to a Black Widow 15" spkr.

I bought the amp and had John LeMay design a Miracle Audio mod for it which helped the tone. I've used it for a couple of years and recently took it to a music shop around here and played it through a couple of different speakers. The shop owner, an avid steel guitar enthusiast said it looked similar to the Session 500 series in sound and features on the amp. It sounded especially good through an Evans 12" speaker cab.

The main disadvantage is it's heavy, it's cumbersome to lug the amp, the speaker cab and and effects rack and hook it all up.

Any clue as to the origins of this beast and who it's related to?

Kevin Walker

Roanoke,VA. UNITED STATES
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 8:32 pm    

John,
I had a Musician and 4-12 cabinet back around 1980 or so. As I remember, it seemed to be a pretty good set-up. It definitely wasn't lacking in power. I don't know how similar it would have been to any other PEAVEY amp. I'd say, if you were to build or buy yourself a good cabinet, the Musician would probably sound as good as anything else being played.
,Kevin