The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing speaker wire size on a Nashville 400
Paul Stertz

Pittsburgh,Pa. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 3:26 pm    

I recently made a few changes on my Nashvilles that I wanted to tell you folks about. First of all, I wanted to be able to use the amps as speaker cabinets to be used with a rackmount power amp. Obviously, the Nashville does not have a provision for this. I found that with a little trimming, a rackmount filler panel will fit across the back of the amp where the back braces are. I bought the flanged panels for the extra strength and mounted normally-closed stereo jacks on the back. I then took out the original wire (which was either a 20 or 22 awg wire) and used 14 awg shielded audio cable from the chassis to the jack, and then to the speaker. There is a grounding tab on the transformer housing already, so I grounded it to that.
Now, when the jack has nothing in it, the audio goes straight to the speaker from the amp chassis. When a plug is inserted into the jack, the amp is disconnected and the audio coming into the jack from an external amp is then sent to the speaker. Just gotta remember to unplug the Nashville when using it in this manner!
Using the Nashville as a power amp with a TTFex after this mod definitely seems to help bring life to these amps! The tonal quality did not change, but the sound just seems livelier and just more dynamic. Appearance-wise, you can't even tell anything has been done to it. Both mine have the Peavey mod.
Has anybody else tried this on their amps? Let me know what you think!

------------------
Paul Stertz
Blue laquer Mullen D10 8+5

[This message was edited by Paul Stertz on 22 January 2000 at 03:28 PM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 9:40 am    

Paul,
That's very interesting. I haven't personally tried something like this. I believe that Norm Hamlett with Merle Haggard's band has done this also.

At any rate, thanks for using Peavey gear. If I can be of any service to you in the future, please let me know. I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391.