Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 12:09 pm    

Is it OK to use my Boss tuner AC adapter for
my Boss DD-3 Delay pedal?

Advice would be appreciated.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 12:39 pm    

Roy ,I can't tell you yes or no, but I have some good advise about AC and DC adapters.
With DC adapters, the tip can be plus or minus. Both AC and DC adapters are rated at the number of mili-amps they produce. Different devices might require more power,
and not run right off of low mili-amps.
Some adapters have filter capacitors built in. Without these the device would get to much ripple. I have to built my stuff where it works no matter what a person plugs in. Musicians have many adapters. Some plug in in the dark, and others are drinking. I learned right away what-ever is plugged in better work! Therefore with my stuff it don't matter if it is AC or DC, tip plus, tip minus, or even over voltage. I have protection for any adapter that is plugged in. The only thing that matters is that the device is getting enough current. My pedal has to have 500 mili-amps to work. I also have my filtering designed where DC is needed, AC is noisy but won't hurt. Take this warning----LOTS of devices are not like mine.
You better have either DC or AC, and the right voltage. You better have the right tip, plus or minus. Nowdays "MOST" newer stuff has built in protection, like my stuff. In the old days a lot of electronic stuff was burnt up by plugging in the wrong adapter. Hope this helps. I would probably wait until someone helps that knows exactly about these units and their power demands.

------------------

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 12:55 pm    

Thanks Keith, that was a great response with lots of info I was never aware of. I will take your advice and wait.
Incidently,I have had your Digital sustain for several months now and it really makes the my guitar sing. It also looks sharp being the same colour as my Carter.
All the best to you.

Roy T.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 2:57 pm    

Roy,
They take the same adaptor, I believe it is a PSA-120T.
It works on all boss pedals, etc that use 9VDC. I have one hooked to my TU-12 now.

Regards,
Bob

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 3:14 pm    

Hello Bob:

Looks like I'm in business as my adapter reads: model ACA-120 Out DC 9V.
Thank You
RT

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 4:19 pm    

Roy
The recommended adapter for a DD3 should have an output of 9 to 9.6 volts, 200mA. I wouldn't go over the 200mA rating.
John

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 4:22 pm    

I forgot to mention, the tip should be positive on the outside with negative center.
John

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 5:17 pm    

John:

My unit fits with the specs you gave in your posts.

Thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2000 4:31 am    

I use a generic Radio shack 9V adapter with my DD5, works great and a lot less than the Boss unit (and probably made in the same place).

As far as the current, the 200ma quoted is MINIMUM. You can safely use a unit with a higher current rating, as it has nothing to do with the voltage. My Radio Shack unit is rated at 1amp (1000ma) and after a 4 hour gig it's still cool to the touch.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2000 6:49 am    

Hello Roy:
Boss makes two 9 volt power supply. Model PSA-100 & PSA-120. The PSA-120 is prefered with digital effects especially when you are powering more than one effect with the same power supply. I power an RV-3 and DD-3 with a TU-12H tuner all in a Boss 3 pedal case with a PSA-120 power supply and it works fine.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2000 8:16 am    

Jack Stoner is correct---as usual! I wanted to say something last night, but I kept my mouth shut. The current reading on a adapter is the maximum value before the device shuts down. A adapter don't run on max, a device pulls the current it needs. What happens when a adapter reaches it's MAX current is it simply shuts down, and then trys to come back on. It creates a off on situation over and over, and usually does not hurt the adapter. Like Jack says--and I agree---it is safe to run a adapter with a larger current rating. Voltage is a totally different matter. Inside these effect or pre-amp devices, there "ALWAYS" is one or two voltage regulators. Since many of these don't have heat sinks, they can be fried. It usually is not current that fries them ,but over voltage. Here is the best thing to do---"MAKE SURE THE ADAPTER YOU PLUG IN IS THE ONE THAT CAME WITH THE UNIT." Don't get in a hurry! Make sure you have pleanty of light to see when you plug stuff in.

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 23 January 2000 at 08:18 AM.]

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 23 January 2000 at 03:45 PM.]

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2000 2:10 pm    

Thanks guys. You learn something new everyday even if your older than dirt like me.
John

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 10:43 am    

The PSA-100 adapter is for Japanese 100vac power. It will work on American power, but will run a bit hotter as it is seeing (and outputting) about 20% higher voltage. The 120v adapters are the ACA-120, which is for lower current analog pedals and the PSA-120 which is rated for the higher current digital pedals. You can use the PSA for any Boss pedal, but the ACA will be strained by the digital delay/reverb pedals. I use Radio Shack adapters (300ma) with Boss pedals and they work fine, are cheaper, and last about as long.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 11:39 am    

Most of the typical (i.e. non voltage regulated model) adapters are rated to supply a specified voltage at a specified current load. Take for example 9 VDC at 500mAmps wall transformer. If you place a 500mAmp load on this supply, the voltage should be close to 9 volts dc. If the load is less than the rated 500mAmps you will see the voltage rise. If one places a higher load on the supply than what it rated for, the supplied voltage will fall below the rated value.

Example: The supplies sitting here on my desk read 12.96 volts with no load attached. With a 600mAmp load the voltage reads 8.6 volts.

Most models have an internal fuse which will open if the supply is subjected to excess loads over an extended time or a direct short. If those events occur you will need to buy an new adapter. Most adapters are sealed and can not be serviced (i.e. the fuse replaced)or do not contain a heat sensitive fuse which opens under excess loads and then closes when cooled.

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 11:43 am    

Thanks Mike. I'm off to Radio Shack.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 12:35 pm    

Wait!
I bought one from Radio Shack too and it was the right voltage, right polarities and enough current (mA's), but I got a hum!
So, I bought a BOSS adapter (only 50% more expensive) and the hum was gone.
A friend of mine had the same experience. I'm surprised to see here that others had good experiences with those "Radio-Shackies".
... J-D.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 5:14 pm    

JD----They have a lot of different adapters at Radio Shack. Every kind you can think of.

------------------