The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hot Rod Lincoln
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 10:44 am    

Heard Commander Cody's version on XM-13 the other night and could have sworn I heard steel in the tune. Never noticed it before. Sounded also like a steel was used for the siren/acceleration sound in the background. Anybody know the details? Who played it?

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 18 October 2004 at 11:45 AM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 10:45 am    

I believe it was Bobby Black.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 11:14 am    

For about 3 years now I've been trying to persuade Joe Wright to arrange the definitive steel guitar version of Hot Rod Lincoln, where he would play snippets of the style of all the major steel players. Can't you just hear Joe singing this tune and then launching into:

"Buddy Emmons pulled over...
Speedy West pulled over
John Hughey pulled over
Curly Chalker pulled over
Pete Drake pulled over
Don Helms pulled over...
etc
etc
I think the crowd would go absolutely nuts if he did this and I can't imagine anyone other than Joe to pull it off.

Brian C Peters

Eagan Minnesota
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 1:41 pm    

Ray, Hod Rod Lincoln was from the album called "Lost in the Ozone" with "West Virginia Creeper" playing steel. Great tune! http://www.awpi.com/CommanderCody/history.html

[This message was edited by Brian C Peters on 18 October 2004 at 02:44 PM.]

Peter Siegel

Belmont, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 3:44 pm    

Jim,

You must have heard Bill Kirchen doing his version, same concept but with guitarists. Killer.

Peter

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 4:48 pm    

Yes, I worked a time or two with Kirchen and became familiar with his version. That's when it struck me that Joe should do the steel guitar version...

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 6:11 pm    

Man....I sure uused to get "lost in the ozone" myself back then...Lot of fun though!
And some killer tunes on that album!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 6:49 am    

I think HRL was originally an old Johnny Bond tune done in the 50's. The old record was pretty good to and I think featured some non pedal playing...JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Johnny Roberts

Anderson, SC, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 8:47 am    

West Virginia Creeper was indeed the steel player on the 1971 "Lost In The Ozone" album.

Bobby Black also played on "Hot Rod Lincoln" on the 1976 double record album "We've Got A Live One Here!" (Warner Brothers 2LS 2939).

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 9:28 am    

So, what ever happened to the West Virginia Creeper (aka Steve Davis)? Y'know, once you're a steel player, you're not allowed to just drop out of sight, chuck it all and go into selling insurance... the laws of the universe prohibit that sort of thing...

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 10:13 am    

I had no idea this tune had such a deep history. Thanks to all of you for the info. The car radio doesn't do the tune justice. I had the XM module plugged into my studio system and WOW what a difference. There is really a lot of music going on there.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 19 October 2004 at 11:15 AM.]

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 2:28 pm    

C#
www.calsharp.com

[This message was edited by Cal Sharp on 19 October 2004 at 05:13 PM.]

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 9:57 pm    

Jimbeaux, the Creeper did go on to do a stint with the Cornell Hurd Band or some predecessor of that band - I recall this from looking at their website.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 9:58 pm    

On a 10" Capitol album,I have a selection, called,"Hot Rod Race" by Ramblin' Jimmie Dolan,which is VERY similar to "Hot Rod Lincoln". Dunno which one came first though.
I've had this album since the mid 50's

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 12:20 pm    

I have a version from 1951, played by Tiny Hill (on Mercury)...

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------

erik

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 4:30 pm    

Have you heard the song Rough And Ready? I don't know the history of this song but I did here some hints of Hot Rod Lincoln.

Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 8:09 am    

Here's the whole story on this song: www.lincoln-club.org/hot-rod-lincoln1.html

C#

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 9:39 am    

I got a 50's Charlie Ryan album "Hot Rod" on King-label, each one of the songs is more or less like Hot Rod Lincoln ( which is the opening track ). Hot Rod Race is also on the album, credited to G. Wilson. Only one song makes an exception on the album, and it's the last song which is a funky rockabilly steel guitar instrumental called "Steel Rock". Now there's a macho title for a song!!

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 9:59 am    

So how did Tiny Hill record the version Stettner has, if Charlie Ryan didn't record it until 1955? Did Tiny hear Charlie doing it live and scoop Charlie on his own song?

Does anybody know a link to an MP3 sample of Charlie's original version, or to Rocket '88?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 12:23 pm    

they are two different songs:

hot rod race, written by g wilson: originally recorded by arkie shibley circa 1951 and covered by a lot of people immediately, including tiny hill, jimmie dolan, arthur smith, red foley, and bob williams. western swing stalwart jack rivers even cut a version as "navy hot rod", telling the same type of story as it might have occurred on a navy ship.

hot rod lincoln, written by charlie ryan circa 1955, and patterned after the shibley song in the sense that both are talking blues about hot cars. contrary to what the article in the above link states, the original version on souvenir was anything but a major hit and is very difficult to locate. ryan re-cut the song circa 1959/60 for 4 star, and that version was immediately covered by johnny bond. the bond version got as much airplay as the charlie ryan version and may well have outsold it. ryan's king LP is a compilation of the songs he did for 4 star, with i think neil livingston on steel.

i think the first ryan version may have had gary stewart on steel. stewart posted on this forum a time or two 5 or 6 years ago, but has disappeared.

shibley recorded four followup versions in the early 50s--hot rod race #2, #3, arkie meets the judge, etc. all with the same beat and just continuing the saga. all now available on a shibley CD.

[This message was edited by Mitch Drumm on 21 October 2004 at 01:25 PM.]

Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 12:34 pm    

[url=http://www.calsharp.com/music/Hot Rod Lincoln.mp3]The above pictured 45[/url]

C#

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 9:37 pm    

Yeah Mitch, you're probably right about Neil Livingston. Steel Rock is credited to him, ( and since it's a Four Star song, also to W.S Stevenson )

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2004 4:04 pm    

I see the mention of Bob Williams in a post above. I was playing steel with Bob from around 1948 or '49 until I went in the Navy in 1952. Bob recorded the Hot Rod Race around 1950 for Tennessee Record label,and it sold real well in the North Carolina area which caused us to move over there after I graduated from high school (1951). There was no steel on that particular record, the lead work was a guitar. I think most of the start off similar, like: "Now me and my wife and my brother Joe took off in a Ford from San Pedro, we hadn't much gas and the tires were low but that old Ford could really go....". The best I can remember, we did a follow up with one called "Hot Rod Race #2". Bob was not a major star so the other records were a lot more popular. Just a bit of nostalgia there.
Gere

Thomas Bancroft

Matawan, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 12:06 pm    

I'm goin to see Mr. Frayne and the East Coast Airmen tomorrow night! Unless there is a suprise guest, there will be no steel guitar this time out. Bummer! I keep workin on my chops so that someday......

[This message was edited by Thomas Bancroft on 27 October 2004 at 01:07 PM.]

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 5:11 pm    

Jim-I belive on Cody's site he discusses the Creeper's exit as being due to the fact that he was too creepy. (Bobby Black played on everything else, including Live from Deep in the Heart of Texas at Armadillo World headquarters-maybe one of the top 5 live albums ever recorded.)

Dude, if you're too creepy to hang with the Commander, you need to be incarcerated. that's the line of demarcation right there man.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html