The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country Johnny Mathis
gene brown

Bowie, Texas Montague
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 7:47 am    

Am looking for country Johnny Mathis records.if anyone has any for sale let me know.LLoyd Green played on a lot of his records,and is some of the best pedal steel . Thanks Gene

Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 12:43 pm    

I'd even like to know if he's still alive. I played with him in 58. and 59. Last I heard of him, he'd gone into preaching. It was hard to ride on long trips with him, as he would practice singing, and he had such a projecting voice. He almost didn't need a P.A. set on stage. Like theatrical actors.
Jim

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 7:49 am    

Ray Price recorded a song of his called "Please Talk to my Heart" and as big a Price fan as I am, I liked the Country Johnny record better. It's not the old tune "Talk to your Heart". The chorus lyrics went something like this:

Please, please, I'm so lonely,
Any love you can give me will do.
And don't be afraid because I'm crying,
I'm crying because I miss you.

I wish there'd been a lot more of CJM's records out there for us to enjoy, he should've been a lot bigger than he was!!.JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 12:46 pm    

If I remember right,,,a lot of the early George Jones songs were written by Country Johnny Mathis. He was around the Houston area back in the early to mid '60's and I played a number of gigs with him. Heck of a great singer and song writer.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

[This message was edited by Bobby Bowman on 31 January 2005 at 12:47 PM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 2:12 pm    

JFYGI,"Talk to your Heart" was the title of Ray's 2nd album for Columbia (CL 1148) & was released in 1952.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 3:21 pm    

quote:
"Not to be confused with the pop singer of the same name, Johnny "Country" Mathis was born on September 28, 1933, in Maud, TX. He became a long time member of the Louisiana Hayride from 1951 thru 1960. Johnny "Country" Mathis started out as part of the duo Jimmy Johnny, with Jimmy Lee Fautheree. While they only released a handful of records, the duo hit the country western Top Ten in 1954 with "If You Don't Somebody Else Will." It was recorded for the Chicago blues label Chess; it was one of the only country songs the label ever released. By the mid'50s, Mathis went solo, recording a string of records for Dallas' renowned D Records, (including a rockabilly single, "BeeBoppin' Daddy," under the name Les Cole the Echoes), Decca, United Artists, and Little Darlin. His last chart entry was in 1963 "Please Talk to My Heart" on UA. A fairly prolific songwriter, his work was recorded by Johnny Paycheck, George Jones, and Webb Pierce. At the beginning of the new millennium, Mathis was still active, based in Texas, and devoting his talent to Christian music."

- Al Campbell, All Music Guide

Per Kammersgaard

Sonderborg, Denmark
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2005 7:10 am    

Koch Records are re-releasing some or maybe all of the old Little Darlin' recordings - so watch out for Country Johnny Mathis.

PK

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2005 5:07 pm    

Here is some more info on him also..Ron
http://www.countryjohnnymathis.com/

Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 4:02 am    

I remember playing with Country Johnny in Farmersville, Texas back in the late 40s.

Johnny was just starting his career and I really didn't think he would make it---- but then, what do I know. I really liked him as a person and he was pretty set on getting into the big time. I played a Rickenbacker 5 string lap steel at the Farmersville Cafe with him.

I also would like to know where he is. I looked at his web site and didn't see the song "When I came Through Town Today"
That song can be heard on www.recordlady.com. At lease I heard it there.

Charles Tilley

[This message was edited by Charles Tilley on 18 February 2005 at 04:12 AM.]

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 6:01 am    

If you're still looking for old Country Johnny Mathis stuff , all of the sides he recorded for D records are available on Bear Family's compliation "D singles" Vol I-V.
All five volumes ( sold separate) are a pricey investment , about $450, but talk about a treasure of old Houston honky-tonk from the late fifties and early sixties.
Check out CDWolf's website. They are the cheapest for Bear Family products.

Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 8:06 am    

Gene, Check out the "Record Lady". Some pretty good Viewer supported downloads. Ray