The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bakelite bars
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 3:59 pm    

Paying well for intact old tapered bakelite bars. Shoot me an e-mail or reply here if you have one, I'll beat the Ebay average.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2005 11:32 am    

Bumperoonie

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 1:35 pm    

Nobody has one of these to let go of? I'm dyin', over here...

Richard Shatz

Quincy, IL, United States
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2005 7:04 pm    

This post and lack of responses intrigued me enough to check my collection. I have about 25 Bakelite bars. None are tapered. Come to think of it I've never seen one. Good luck. If you find one, post a picture and description on the Forum.
I know that wasn't any help, but it might explain why there haven't been any responses.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 1:03 am    

I guess I should have qualified what I said with "I prefer the slightly tapered ones..." but let me know what you have, as I am no so picky as all that. The one I hve is only lightly tapered. I do want them to be unchipped, though. Thanks for pointing that out, though. Tapering is not really a requirement.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 3:53 am    

The original "Black Rajah" was bakelite over a lead core.

They were tapered ... with a more "blunt" nose than most bullet bars.

I have two ... ones gotta chip in the butt ....

Scroll Down ... bottom right corner.

They come up on ebay every once in awhile ...

While you wait ... Chuck Brattain's Phoenix ... can be had in a many different sizes ... even tapered.

I find them faster, smoother and quieter than the original Black Rajah ... same general tone too.

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 17 March 2005 at 03:55 AM.]

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 6:34 am    

Wow Rick, quite a collection. I have a couple of bars you might want at my "altar of steel" that are steel old Oahu bars and a couple of flat bars that I will never use. I gave up collecting them for the joy of having them, I just keep the ones I need. The bakelites are just my favorites; mine has a brass core and is slightly tapered, the nose is a little bit rounded at the edges with a flat top. I just like the feel and tone of the material. I am going to order one of the Black Phoenix bars, but other threads leave me worried about easy chipping. I guess this fishing expedition is not going to produce the results I had hoped for, so I'll keep an eye peeled for Ebay.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 3:07 pm    

On closer inspection, Rick, mine looks just like the next to last one on the right in your collection; slightly blunted nose, slightly tapered. But most of the attraction for me is the surface feel and the tone.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 3:29 pm    

Yep ... the "Black Rajah" is a cool bar.

Chuck's "Phoenix" is real close ... abit faster and quieter.

The good thing about Chuck Brattain's bars ... they are guaranteed for life ... just S/H gets you a new bar if it wears through.

A great bar from a great guy ... can't beat that ...

Frank McBride

Clendenin, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2005 7:58 am    

What are they worth? I bought 12 bar's frome ebay last year and I don't use them because they are to short. 2 are black tapered. 2 3/8 with lead center.3 Nick Hanoloff. 2 3/4 White--Green Marble--Red Marble. 1 Red 2 3/4 by 3/4 with steel center. the rest are steel bar's 3 are 3 by 5/16. 2 3/4 by 5/16. 2 1/8 by 5/16 round on both ends.1 3 by 3/4 flat on ends

Frank McBride

Clendenin, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2005 8:04 am    

The bar's came frome an old music conservitory out of the UK also no chips some look new.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2005 10:07 am    

Lots of those are actually plastic, and not bakelite. Most of the marble-look ones are plastic. The black bakelite bars are characterized by a slightly rough surface, more weight and a blunted round nose. I have a number of plastic bars but the bakelites are quite different tonally and especially the weight.
That being said, I'd love to see pics of any you would be willing to part with. Some of them are worth $50 or more.

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2005 4:18 am    

I have a lap steel bar bakelite/plastic iron core 2 3/4" lg. x 3/4" dia and tapers to 5/8" dia. color black in excellent condition! What is it worth?

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2005 9:35 am    

About $35, as Ebay goes. The ones that are 2 7/8 or slightly longer are the premium ones. It depends a lot on the core, as well. I prefer the brass cores, but lead cores are good too... some folks go the other way on that. The lead ones are slightly heavier, and I don't dislike 'em; the core on the one that I have been using since I started playing is brass and I just have gotten comfortable with it. I'd take either type, though.

------------------
Remington Playboy,Sierra S8
Pedals are for bicycles!

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2005 12:16 pm    

Got a lot of mail, but still no bars... just a couple, really!