The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chet Atkins-gone but never forgotten
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 4:51 am    

Chet was a hero of mine, and so many others.
I own over 85 of his LPs and several autographed pictures.

I knew the end was near, but still shed a tear.

As far as his birthday post...

I ignored it because I remembered a comment Chet made many years ago about his birthday.
He said he does not like to mention the date because he gets so many cards from people he does not know, that makes him uncomfortable.

I always respected this and honored his request for privacy.

I guess he tired of people telling him he was the greatest, a tremendous influence, etc. Funny thing was, it's all true.

Rest in Peace Chester, and sincere consolendances to Leonia, Merle, and the rest of the family.

------------------

-j0e-

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 01 July 2001 at 05:52 AM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 6:31 am    

Like all of you,,,I too grieve at the loss of Chet. I like many others had the opportunity of knowing him as well as recording with him on RCA many years ago. It is a time in my life when things like this strike close to home.

Sometimes we take things for granted like everything will remain the same but the older I get,,,the more I realize there comes
sad times such as the loss of Chet,,,its like losing a member of the family,,because to most,,,he was "family" my prayers are with
his family,,may God Bless a great human being
I know he will,,,,he deserved the best,,because ...He was and "still" is the best. Our mutual friend Roy Horton is grieving as well,,Roy was a good friend of Chets and a past president of the CMA.
Rest in Peace Chet & I pray that I have the honor of sitting next to you again someday.
God Bless you....

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 01 July 2001 at 07:35 AM.]

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 6:57 pm    

I first heard Chet play while sitting on the front porch of a rural farm house in georgia, listening to the Opry. From that day as a nine year old boy, my life has never been the same. His music seared into my brain and my heart and I decided that I HAD TO LEARN TO PLAY LIKE THAT! He was my greatest influence and in my opinion, the greatest over-all musician of the 20th century. God rest his soul and give him peace. Thanks Chet, I hope you can wear your father's hat, now. One of your thousands of devoted admirers. Lonnie Portwood