The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jody Nix and the Texas Cowboys !!!
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2001 8:15 am    

I just returned from the Western Swing Festival in Wichita Falls Texas and got to hear lot of great western swing music. One of my favorite groups was Jody Nix. Bob Kelly (I hope that is the right spelling) played steel with the band and he is great !!
He said he hadnt played at the Texas Steel show nor did he have any cds, but his playing is wonderful !! I am sure he is well known in the Texas circles, but this was my first time I had the pleasure of hearing him. I talked briefly with him and he is a super nice guy as well. Check out his web site at jodynix.com.
One of my other favorites there was Jake Hooker and the Outsiders. Gary Carpenter plays steel with them, and I have gone on and on in praise of Gary and his steel work, so I wont repeat myself. I have heard them play several times before and they are the best at RAy Price shuffle types of tunes !

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2001 3:01 pm    

Jody Nix gets his talent honestly. His dad, Hoyle Nix, had a great western swing band and was also a fine fiddle player. About 1954, Hoyle Nix had Joe"Big Red" Hayes as one of his fiddle players. Awesome. Can't remember who the steel player was. It don't get no better than Jake with "Carp" on steel. Jody,