The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have You Ever Been so Wrong!!??
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 3:32 pm    

1989 Summer Lights in Nashville, my wife and I went to see Clint Black, at the Legislative Plaza(Better Man was hot on the charts)5:00pm show and Don Williams at the Court House Square 6:00pm show. Clint,Hayden,Jeff and the boys put on a great show, approx 2,000 people in attendance. After Clints' show we walked on down to the Courthouse, about a half mile or so down Deadrick Street. On one of the side streets on the way to the Courthouse, was a new guy named Garth Brooks putting on a show for maybe 300 people. The crowd was so sparse you could walk right up to the stage with out saying "excuse me." After listening to a song or two I said to my wife "Let's go, we're going to be late seeing Don Williams, and besides this guy ain't goin' nowhere!" Duh! Hello is anybody home! HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SO WRONG?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 4:35 pm    

I do know a local singer, an "old timer" who, upon seeing Dolly Parton sing her first hit song (in person) commented...

"She ain't nothin' but a flash in the pan."

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 4:39 pm    

Too many for me to mention.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 7:02 pm    

There was a singer whose first album was out about 15 years ago (give or take). I borrowed a copy and gave it a listen. I already knew there was one song on there I really liked, but none of the rest of them hit me. I gave the album back and told my friend "He's done. You won't hear no more out of him."

His initials were (are) GB.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 7:10 pm    

Well you were right about his music; you were just wrong about his "Marketing Capabilities".
Ricky

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 7:42 pm    

How many of us were wrong about Tim McGraw & His horse ridin sidekick!

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 3:03 am    

A little different story. This was in 1941 I believe. I was 12 and a member of the Cardinal knot hole gang. A buch of us kids were in the left field stands at Sportsmans Park at Grand and Dodier in St Louis. It was usual pravtice for th Cardinals to come out before the game and sign autographs and talk to the kids. NO CHARGE either. The Cardinal greats, Marty Marian, Johnny Hop, Walker Cooper, Enos Slaughter, Terry moore and others. I noticed a kid shagging flys in left field while all of this was going on and felt sorry for him so I motioned for him to come over and waved my autograph book. He was all evcited that someone would want his auto and HE THANKED me. I traded his his autofraph a few days later in a package deal for Mel Ott and Carl Hubble. I have regretted it ever since as that rookies name, which no one wanted at the time was Stan "the man" Musial and that autograph I am quite sure is cherished by who ever has it now.

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 12:32 pm    

I think it was the early seventies at a Joe Cocker concert. Joe, as usual, was about an hour and a half late coming out. The opening group, who had no album out yet, was trying to reassure the audience that Joe really was there, and that he would soon perform. But they were treated pretty rudely by the audience. It was the Eagles.

(JC DID show up, and put on an excellent performance.)

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10

erik

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 6:48 pm    

My mom went to see GJ once. She actually thought he was going to show up.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2001 11:11 am    

Think about the guy from Decca Records that passed on the Beatles

David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2001 11:30 am    

I went with buddies to a 2 drink no cover club on a Thursday sometime in 1970 or 71. Half full crowd and some young girl up on stage with a guitar...("Hey...she was with a group called the 'Stone Ponies'...") Linda Rondstadt. We thought she was a one hit wonder.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 7:30 am    

Another one....

I remember thinking back in the mid or late 80's "I'll sure be glad when this rap stuff has run its course. There's no way this can last, it's just a fad and it'll be gone in a couple of years."

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 4:21 pm    

AJM,I hear ya chirpin' BIG BIRD!!

TomP

Encino Ca
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 7:24 pm    

I was sittin' in the Music Mill talkin' to Jim Cotton and Joe Scaife one afternoon when this kid with a REAL long ponytail came in. Jim introduced him as Billy Ray
Cyrus and said he had a deal with Mercury and they were producing. Well, he sat down and started playin' one of his songs and they commenced to dissect it, talking about what it was about, etc (funny thing was-it was in English) forever. I got real bored in about 2 minutes and left. I remembered later (about 15 million records later) that I had thought, "I don't care if he has got a deal with Mercury, he should go home." Wrong as I was, I still wish he had.

------------------
-Tom www.tompowell.org