The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Forum Jamborees
Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 5:44 pm    

Does the forum ever have jamborees, or ever considered having one? It would be very interesting.And also would probably be very hard to organize!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2001 10:54 am    

We've never had a "jamboree" but the forumites usually get together at St Louis and some of the other big shows such as Dallas.

Ann Fabian, Carter Guitar Co, is always there to help the forumites and usually provides colored dots or some other marking to put on our badges.

If you go to St Louis and see people walking around with a colored dot on their badge you know they are one of "them".

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2001 12:32 pm    

Quote:
If you go to St Louis and see people walking around with a colored dot on their badge you know they are one of "them".
Run the other way!

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 4:00 am    

I don't have to wear a "colored dot". My reputation has preceded me.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 4:29 am    

Smiley with or without the shorts is a colored dot. Lee I too miss the old Jams e-mail me where about you are located in the Carolinas maybe we could hit one of the "Carolina wild mans" Jams,Sleepy John Floyd has them once in a while with the VCMA.Not to be confused with the Viet Cong Mens association.

------------------
CJC

Corwin Colebrooke

Ames, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 6:55 am    

It's not a forum jamboree, and might not have a single steel in it(there's only one local country band and I'm in it, but we don't have any songs yet), but I'm in the process of organizing a battle of the bands for people living in the dorms here for next semester. The dorms will be dominated by freshmen(I'm currently a freshman), so it's a good way to get local music out to them.

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 7:24 am    

Leigh
I'm up the coast from you a couple of hundred miles, Just north of Elizabeth City. I belong to the Virginia Country Music Association and on the Board of Directors. We have a Jam next Sunday at the Portsmouth, Virginia Moose Lodge. You are welcome anytime. We usually have one each month. We spotlight one or two of the Local bands and open up a Jam Session afterwards. Come on up and check us out. Next Sunday, We will be Featuring Tee Meroney.

Joe you are right about Smiley he has been permanently "Colored and Dotted".
BTW
Smiley, Earl Erb, myself and others have been talking about a Former Nashville pickers reunion for some time now, Sure would like to see it become a reality.

------------------
JCF (The Picker formerly known as Sleepy John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 22 April 2001 at 08:33 AM.]

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 2:52 pm    

Myron. Yeah we had those Jamborees all the time. I was surprised when I moved here the bands dont have any Jams at all. We never got to see each other much because we all played a lot, so it was a good way to keep in touch.Our drummer at that time was Mike Neylon, who was with me the best part of 28 yrs. He was a great help to me in so many ways, other than just playing drums. He passed away a few yrs ago,and Casey and I were in Mass. for the benefit. But I do miss those jams. Back then it was a situation where we would do a Jamboree for Al Cody, then he would owe us one, then Casey would do one for us, and we,d owe him one, so they just kept going all year that way.It was also a good way to meet new musicians etc. And of course we always had a few cold ones!!
The Elks was a good jam. It was nice with the outdoor pavillion. But things change, and we can remember.

Leigh

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2001 8:17 am    

Mike Neylon,Wow I am glad you brought his name up...Mike had this day job working for the Cinemas in West Springfield and myself and Chuck Gokey use to go see at least one good movie a week..Old mike would let us in free and even get us popcorn..What a sense of humor he had...Al Cote called me last week to let me know about shorty's brother..Cote also quit playing and recently had a massive stroke,(he certainly is too young for heart problems)is moving down here too... Tho sometimes it may not of seemed it but what a great run we had.

------------------
CJC

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2001 8:56 am    

We have a jam every Sun. aft. at 2:00 P.M.-6:00P.M.,at the Apache Junction Elks Lodge,(it's on the way to Canyon Lake)just out of Phoenix.Get's better every Sun.

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

[This message was edited by Ray Jenkins on 23 April 2001 at 10:45 AM.]