The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Deleted Instrumentals in TrueValue Showdown
Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2001 7:27 pm    

While I was watching the Truevalue showdown(April Cool I noticed they played mini interviews whenever there was an instrumental turnaround in the song the contestant was singing. It was irritating and ruined what little continuity there was. The backup band was fine it's too bad they wouldn't let them be heard. Isn't it really about the music rather than the contestants blathering on about nothing;especially at the expense of their own performance.

[This message was edited by Peter Dollard on 08 April 2001 at 08:29 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 3:53 am    

Sadly, every "talent show" I've seen has turned out to be a popularity contest dependent on how many of the bands "fans" were in the audience. And even the big ones seem to be more PR than substance. The idiot that made the decision to play interviews over the break is probably from the "PR" school and probably hates "country" music.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 5:50 am    

I always found competition and the arts to be a strange mix. It gets on the same topic as religion and sex, so subjective, that it brings out strongs, sometimes ugly feelings. Sure, art should imitate life but it should be about personal expression, not competition.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 7:46 am    

I caught part of that show. The winner was a local guy (Dallas) named Scott Whitaker. He had Reggie Brown on bass, who I know. Who was the steel player? He sounded great.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 7:50 am    

John, I agree with you from an aethetic viewpoint but somehow the noble traits of art always seem to get lost in visual seductions. Case in point: Years ago I played in this "talent" contest and we thought we had a reasonable chance to win. Then up stepped this girl in a Micro-Mini skirt and sang Barbra Fairchild's "Teddy Bear" song and we knew we had lost. Meanwhile while the judges scraped the drool off their faces we packed our stuff and left.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 8:00 am    

Scott Whittaker's steel player is a fine local player named Ted Soleski. He called to let me know it was going to be on so I could tape it.