The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMT getting as tight as Country radio
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2001 7:36 pm    

I see comments in the newsgroup that CMT is working towards a format of 50% shoows and 50
% videos. Those vidios would be a core group of 39 with limited new material added.

This is a blow to independent or upcoming acts needing exposure.

Murcury was the major label to benefet last year with the success of Eric Heatherly and Jamie O'Neil. I think under these guidelines Jamie would never had a top 5 single.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2001 8:47 pm    

You think Jamie was "discovered" mainly because of video?

I think I noticed her on video and radio about the same time. I'm still waiting for the next single to see more about her style of music. I'll have to say I liked "There Is No Arizona" -- even if it's not exactly hard-core country.

The other new-comer I like so far is Carl Dawn Johnson (I think that's her name) who sings "(By The Time I Get To) Georgia". I'll have to say that I've seen her video, but haven't really heard her on radio yet.

I certainly don't care for Heatherly's "Flowers On The Wall". I never really liked the original version, but I liked it better than his.

We got GAC a year or two back instead of CMT -- I'll have to say that I like it better than CMT.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2001 3:36 am    

I don't watch CMT anyway. Never have cared for videos. I guess it's because the era I grew up in was "BV" (before videos).

But, considering CMT is under the same management as MTV it is not a surprise that it will look (and sound) more like MTV.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2001 3:56 am    

Once again I agree with you Jack.I never cared for Videos especially since they put an air of fantasy and Phoneyness in them. It's much nicer to see the artist Live or hear the music without the crappy backgrounds.

------------------
CJC

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 4:27 pm    

Hey gang it happens cause we let them shove that stuff down our throats. Try refusing to buy products the station advertises. If they can't sell , Big companies won't buy the time for the ads. Let the companies know about your distaste for what you are watching. Tell them if they continue to advertise on that station you won't buy cause you don't like what you see. It beats writing to Gaylord or anybody like him. They know some young kid with bad hair and a scruffy goatee will buy anything. They think that's all that watches.

------------------

Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 5:20 pm    

The woman Mr. Pennybaker referred to is CAROLYN DAWN JOHNSON, and her song is "Georgia". Ms. Johnson has done a stint as a member of Martina McBride's band and she is also the cowriter of Chely Wright's #1 hit "Single White Female".

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 6:40 pm    

Music videos, Country or otherwise, are geared to kids (those under 16) with raging hormones, short attention spans, and a vocabulary that consists of 2 or 3 adjectives.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 6:48 pm    

Oh, no!

I called Carolyn "Carl". Man, what a typo that was.

I'm heading to Tin Pan South this year in Nashville (just a week away), and it looks like I'll be seeing Carolyn Dawn Johnson on April 6th at the 12th and Porter Playroom.

I don't really care too much for videos, either. Unless they're shot live at a concert, or at least look like the band is actually performing.

Watching videos sure beats watching commercials, though.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Corwin Colebrooke

Ames, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 8:39 pm    

I'm a big fan of CMT(part of what got me into wanting to play steel). I sure hope that they don't head in the direction of MTV. The country radio stations here in Ames are still pretty good. They don't play much traditional country, but they don't rotate the same songs over and over.

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 9:16 pm    

quote:

Watching videos sure beats watching commercials, though.

I dunno, man... the more I thought about that, the more I disagree.
At least when you watch a commercial, you're aware that they're flogging something... that's the premise.
Videos seem like one of many appendages attached to music these days (light shows, fog machines, stage sets, T & A, dancers, etc, etc) in order to sell it to people who neither know nor care anything about music.
I agree with Donny. Someone write that in the minutes.
-John