The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great rant for fans of Buddy Rich
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2001 1:03 pm    

Hey guys, if you have a few extra minutes, check this out...it's great. http://www.bridgeboymusic.com/billyboy/mybuddy.htm

[This message was edited by Jeremy Steele on 08 March 2001 at 01:06 PM.]

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2001 4:42 pm    

When he had Sinatra in the same band, back before Frank had any hits, any solo recordings etc, Buddy used to berate him so much that Sinatra punched him out.
Buddy told that story in an interview, I don't think Sinatra ever referred to it.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2001 11:52 pm    

This tape has been going around for years. Unfortunately for Buddy's memory, it is the real thing! I kinda think it's a shame that a person so talented and influencial could have it all be overshadowed by a permantly recorded testament to his overbearing megalomania. I mean the guy was a legendary uptight jerk! It's amazing he didnt explode...I guess he really needed to beat on things. My old friend Sid Weiss, (who use to play bass with Tommy Dorsey, Bennie Goodman, Artie Shaw & others) was the guy that supposedly broke up the famous Sinatra vs Rich on-stage brawl. He could go on and on with stories about Buddy's mood swings.

I guess this is a good reminder for us all to be nicer in this life, or else we might risk having our good qualities be overlooked when we're dead. How'd you like to be known for being a jerk posthumously?

Of course I've been to "Off Topic"...nevermind.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2001 3:21 pm    

I read a great article written by one of his reed players, oh at least ten years ago.
He mentioned sweating musicians horrified to see Buddy pointing his drumsticks at them, then holding up two fingers, an indication of their warning period ..two weeks.

There's zillions of Buddy the beast stories, the guy could never really see why the famous guys stayed away from his band in his latter years, geez they'd done it all before and didn't need that approach.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2001 3:40 pm    

After checking out Jeremy's link I will have to agree, this guy was a celebrated @$$h0!e

John Drury
NTSGA #0003

[This message was edited by John Drury on 18 March 2001 at 03:41 PM.]