The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Malcolm Yelvington - Sun ledgend passed away
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 7:12 am    

Well, I'm sorry to pass on the news to any fans of Sun era rockabilly, but Malcolm Yelvington passed away earlier this week, after being hospitalized for the past week.

Malcolm had been diagnosed with prostrate cancer several years ago and has lived a healthy life until the recent past. He had a tumor removed in october of 99 after the cancer had started to metastize. A new one showed up again this summer and he apparently chose not to go through surgery again.
Up until last Tuesday he was riding around in his new electric wheel chair that he had recieved the week before. (he'd been wheelchair bound since becoming paralyzed in Dec. 2000, when a tumor cut across his spinal cord.
This time, he was hospitilized for pneumonia, by all accounts he was still very strong and healthy in heart and mind to the end.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 8:57 am    

Sorry to hear that, Jason. I was reading just last night about Sun Records, and the story of how Elvis was "discovered" by Sun in 1953. As it turns out, the office manager for Sun (Marion Keisker) was the one who called Sam Phillips' attention to Elvis' demos. Had it not been for Marion, Elvis might not have been the overnight star he became. Anybody know any background, or what ever happened to Marion?

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 9:11 am    

She's mentioned in Careless Love, Peter Guralnick's supremely exhaustive biography of Elvis, has having met him again when they were BOTH in the Army (and she was a Captain!).
She's also mentioned somewhere later on (late 60s, I think), as being married and living in Memphis (I think!).
Nick

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 3:23 pm    

Donny, I really don'tknow,but it'san interesting point.
She once mentioned in an interview that she was quite worried when the hulking frame of Chester Burnette came through the door, although most of us know him as Howlin' Wolf.
Apparently after he initial shock ... she and Wolf became friends, man I don't know where she is, but she knew everyone who walked through Sun!
The stories!