The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does Ralph Mooney have any recent solo recordings?
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 12:29 pm    

I saw Mr. Mooney play at St. Louis this year and was wondering if he has any recent solo records out, and if so where can they be purchased?

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 6:57 pm    

When I was 6, I was singing on my father's Opry in Iowa, and Ralph Mooney was the steel player, so I got to sing and, Mr. Mooney played while I was singing! I think that's the highest honor you can get!

------------------
Abraham -

My Website!
abraham@music.com
WBStokley.com
SteelGuitarInfo.com

Equipment - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.

I'm creating a "Steel Guitar Calender" for 2002, so if you'd like to be in the calender, e-mail a picture of you and a short bio about your steel, yourself, and whatnot!

Bobby Lee, Thanks For The Service You've Put Into The Steel Guitar Forum!

• Steel Guitar Forum Rocks!
  • Real Country Music Rocks!
  • Abraham's Website Rocks!
  • WBStokley.com Rocks!
  • Pedal Steel Guitar Rocks!

Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 7:54 pm    

AJM, if you are a Mooney fan I suggest that you get the Bear family box set of Wynn Stewart, it has Mooney all over it. It dates from 1954 and up, it gives you the chance to hear Mooney as he developed his sound that we so quickly relate to him now. When you are listening to the CD,s you will hear licks that later appeared with Waylon Jennings. It is a great set and was offered here on the Forum some time ago by his daughter. Another CD tht you might want to look for was with James Burton, sorry I can't remember the name, maybe someone can help. The book that comes with the Wynn Stewart set also has some really great pictures from the West coast and Las Vegas. You will get a real kick out of what Ralph wrote on the wall of a roadside rest on one of their tours. The set covers something like 278 songs ( all the song that Wynn recorded) and Mooney is on quite a few of them as well as some guy named Buck Owens singing some backup and pickin a little guitar. Its a 10 CD set.

chad udeen

HendersonvilleTn USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 11:30 pm    

I am still looking for a Mooney instrumental,i believe called"Moon over the Rainbow".or something close to it,anyone know of this tune or where to find it?

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 3:18 pm    

Mooney & Burton recorded (ca. 1967) "Corn Pickin' and Slick Slidin'" (Capitol LP # 2822).
Availability unknown but worth looking for!

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 8:02 pm    

The Moon at Midnight-the Toppa Sessions is pretty current. Within the last few years. It has got a lot of his classic stuff like Okie, Little Red Wagon, Crazy Arms. Great West Coast band.

------------------
The Young Steelkid

Jason Powers

Muncie, IN
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2001 6:35 am    

Something else that I would recommend that has a lot of Ralph Mooney on it would be "Buck Owens sings Harlan Howard" which came out in about 1962. Its got "Key's In The Mailbox", "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down", and several others. It is available on CD.
Hope this helps. Jason