The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Best Guitar Player You Never Heard Of
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 2:51 pm    

A couple of years ago I did a topic called "Al Bruno, my guitar hero" and I'd like to revisit the subject again as it's dear to my heart and we keep getting new Forum members all the time! As I also play lead guitar (my main instrument) I read a lot of stuff about guitarists and collect a lot of guitar music in all styles. For anyone who's never heard of him, Al Bruno is without question "The Best Guitar Player You Never Heard Of". I played for many years in the LA area and Al was indeed the man! I learned so much from him about the guitar and also about being a person just by hanging around this guy. He was the super picker of the area and one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. It frosts me to no end to see a musician of his caliber never mentioned in any of the Guitar publications or anywhere except by the people who've been lucky enough to hear him and those of us who've been blessed to know him. I first saw Al in the 60's in LA at a club and watched him play for a couple of sets. Being a new kid fresh out of the Army I was kinda shy but I introduced myself to him and he treated me like a friend from the start. I'd met other great pickers who were total A$$H0LES and wouldn't give you the time of day but not this guy. I remember the great weekends at the Imperial Inn after hours where Al was the staff guitar man. On any Friday or Saturday night there were stools around the bandstand where every one would be taken up with a guitarist digging Al's stuff. When a name artist would be in town most of the time their lead men would be right there too with the rest of us. I stole a lot of licks from him (the few I could manage) and supported my family for over twenty years playing music. I've always tried to help other young players when I could and be a friend to anyone who needed me whenever possible and I think thats because my hero was that kind of person. I've listened to Chet, Merle, Jerry Reed, Hank G, Jimmy B, and all of 'em but when push comes to shove, Al Bruno is and always will be my personal guitar hero.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 4:50 pm    

I agree Jerry. I've worked on and off with Al for about 20 years, tho I haven't seen him for awhile. I too claim 6 string as my main instrument, tho nowhere near the abilities of Al.

We played several different clubs in the SF valley and at the Moose here in Simi. A nicer guy you could not meet. He always made one feel special and that includes my wife.

He ALWAYS asks about my kids and how they are doing, especially the one who sat in with us a couple times.

I tried calling Bruno Bear but haven't been able to reach him. With those two palm levers and those magic fingers, he plays like no guitar player I have ever heard. God bless him.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 5:11 pm    

Hi guys, yep Al definately needs some recognition.
A little history (a little of what I know).
Al Bruneau is French Canadian and his forst language was of course French.
As Al Bruno he became part of the Canadian rockabilly scene, which in the late 1950s was far more alive than it was in the US, a younf fella by the name of Terry Preston (soon to reinvent himself as Conway Twitty), and another bandleader Ronnie Hawkins moved there from the US to work the live circuit there, Ronnie stayed and built up a fine version of his group the Hawks who moved to the USA and became the Band.. nuff said.

Meanwhile Conway had hired this young killer guitarist by the name Al Bruno, and when he relocated to Oklahoma he took his band with him.
Al's work with the Conway Trio was still basically rock, but Conway was already trying country material by the early 1960s (his last rock session was in 1964), Al was a monster on the OK scene and a young guitarist Jessie Ed Davis was taken with Al's playing and even worked with Conway and Al, even replacing Al for a time when Al moved to California.

In California Al worked at a variety of clubs, at the Pioneer Room with Blackie Taylor & The Southlanders with Archie Francis (drums), and Dale Bennett.
The trio of Bennett, Francis and Bruno were hired to be the house band at the Red Barrel club where Jerry Inman took over as bandleader and they became Jerry Inman & The Individuals with Carl West (pedal steel) or Betty Foster working with them.

After this group Al went with Sammy Masters group at the Imperial Inn (always hung at the after hours jam session too), worked briefly with Eddie Drake and in 1969 became part of Dick Clark's country nightclub the V.I.P, which was another attempt to open another 'Palomino' in North Hollywood.
In the late 1960s Al also temped at the Pal' and did sessions for Crown Records an el cheapo label that made country cash-in albums with various members of the L.A club scene.

In 1970 Al joined the Tony Booth Band at the Palomino, and with this group won several ACM awards in his own and group catergory.
Al is cool with me.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 6:05 pm    

Don't blame you a bit, Jerry. I get "frosted" too when someone raves about Hendrix or Clapton, but then doesn't even know who Louie Shelton, Billy Sanford, or Danny Gatton are!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 8:59 pm    

Jason, you're always full of great historical information, but wasn't Conway Twitty's original name, Harold Jenkins? I'm sure John Hughey could tell us, if he's reading this, since they were boyhood friends.

------------------
www.jimcohen.com

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 10:14 pm    

Aah Jim you are right, Terry Preston was Ferlin Husky, while Harold Jenkins was the main man Conway!

See, I'm not that good.. I'm definately full of something. LOL

Al Bruno, Tommy Turman, Bob Warford (who once sang the praises of Billy Sanford to me), and many others are lost in the shuffle, but I think it's particuarly galling with Al due to the fact that he's been out there working his arse off while others have retired (nothing wrong with that) and he still isn't really known.
I'm trying to track down as much as I can on Al, and later this year I hope to interview him.
Cool post Jerry.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 4:57 am    

Well I can't say no ones never heard of him but Johnny Davis..He became more known for steel later down the road but he is one hell of Guitar man....another that comes to mind George MOOdy...OOPs sorry ,I thought you were asking for the best Guiter man each of us thought did not get his due.....

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 16 January 2001 at 05:04 AM.]

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 6:38 am    

Right on Jerry, Al is the man. One of a kind. The last time I saw him was with you in St. Louis (I took him some new pedals for his new Telecaster). At that time his number was 818-993-1774. He was living in Northridge at the time.

Best, Boomer

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 7:06 am    

Quote:
Well I can't say no ones never heard of him but Johnny Davis..He became more known for steel later down the road but he is one hell of Guitar man

Johnny Davis plays guitar on the first part of the Curly Chalker video. Great guitar work- easily the equal of Curly's steel playing.

dwight dubie

Ottawa ont. canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 7:30 am    

You might be interested to know that Al had an album out around 1958 or 1959 me thinks on Quality records which is/was a Canadian label.We had a copy at home,but I think it belonged to my brother as I don't have it anymore.It may have had a steel player on it,
and if so it could have been Ernie Hager who is from the same area.

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 7:49 am    

You guys are definitely right about Al Bruno.

I've known Al since 1970 when he and Jay Dee Maness came to Nashville for the DJ convention. I was working with Peaches Price and she introduced me to both of them. Peaches asked them to set in with us, and they did. What really blew my mind was that they both played OUR gig. No Jamming, no overplaying, no showing off like other set-ins almost always did.

From early 1990 to mid 1992, about 2 and 1/2 years, I worked with Al at the Foothill Club in Longbeach, CA. Archie Francis played drums on Sunday nights. It was a blast. That was right before the club turned Rock & Roll.

In 1999 I got Al to came to Wenatchee, WA for a 4th of July show and jam. They couldn't believe how good Al played. What a great picker! What a great person!

The number Boomer gave for Bruno Bear Music is the correct number to reach Al. However, he does have to screen his calls so if he knows you identify yourself immediately and he'll pick up the phone. Otherwise, ID yourself and state the nature of your call.

I talked to Al just a few days ago. He said that he will make every effort to be at the TSGA convention.

Al Bruno's the man.

John Paul Jones

[This message was edited by John Paul Jones on 15 January 2001 at 07:53 AM.]

Piney Woods

Lawrence, KS, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 9:56 am    

Okay, I'm stoked to hear this gentleman play--are there any currently available recordings of his picking?

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 6:21 pm    

Piney, that's a good question.
All I can think of is the Conway Twitty Cd 'The Rock And Roll Years' on Bear Family and issued in 1997.
I'm pretty sure that's the title, but it's a great set from 1956 to 1964 when Twitty was recording rockabilly, pop and even some takes on R&B which could be pretty hairrasining stuff at times. I know some of the R&B material from a 'beat' album he had in '64.
Al Bruno is on various sides, I'm pretty sure he's all over the 1962-1964 stuff, depending where they cut the tracks. There's also the addition of a single that Al cut around 1964, both sides and instrumentals penned by Bruno. The down side is that this thing is like an eight or six CD set, big bucks!!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 7:53 pm    

Al was (is) a monster session player but I always loved his live work on the bandstand. I've got a cassette tape from a benefit we did at the DJ Ranch in Long Beach for a fiddle/sax player (now deceased) named Hank Cochram. I had the pleasure of playing steel with Al on guitar and Billy Smith on bass and a cookin' drummer who's name I'll remember later. He does some awesome stuff like what Brent Mason's doing now and this was while BM was still in high school! Al was ahead of his time and still is the captain of the guitar player's A team as far as I'm concerned. I think my dream team for a band would be Al and Boomer on guitars, JD on steel, Rod Culpepper on Bass, and ol' Archie Francis on drums. No keyboard player needed here!

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

erik

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2001 7:30 am    

Best little punk kid* blues player:
www.holdentruelove.com

Heard this kid live on the radio. He's for real - got fat tone, and top notch vibrato.