The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SHeDAISY - WHAT THE HE**!!!!!
Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 6:26 pm    

Abraham, I am glad to see a 13-year old musician who has chosen the pedal steel and shows as much enthusiasm and love for it, as well as country music. To see a young lad follow in the footsteps of Jimmy Day, John Hughey, Paul Franklin and all of the other great steelers means there is hope for the future.

However, I strongly disagree with your assesment of BRAD PAISLEY. How can you say that George Strait is country yet say Brad isn't? As much as I love Strait, his music has gotten too slick and polished and sometimes his love for Jim Lauderdale's songs cause him to almost stray outside the boundaries sometimes. Have you listened to ALL 13 TRACKS on "Who Needs Pictures"? What are you basing this "not country" tag on? The fiddle and steel found on this album are prominent, as opposed to being there for flavor. Brad wrote or cowrote all but one of the songs. This is something Strait rarely has done. Brad played the guitar leads on the album, and he is a talented picker IMO. There are elements of Western Swing as well as a shuffle tune on this CD. There is a great instrumental that shows off Brad's picking as well as that of the musicians who played on this album. There is a gospel tune. Brad has shown a lot of repect for the Opry, and plays there every chance he gets, something that "country" George Strait doesn't do. The only way I can see you calling Brad "not country" is if you look at his music with a "country purist" attitude...... and if you DO look at him that way, then Strait should fall under the "not country" label too. Granted, Brad may be closer to HNC than someone like Dale Watson, who is much closer to the "purist" traditional style of country. And even Alan Jackson strayed with his rock song covers and that strange "I'll Go On Lovin' You".

Let me ask you this....... if Brad had heard your music and saw you perform........ and was impressed enough to want you to join his band...... would you join or would you take a pass because you consider him "not country enough"?

Anyway, I would be very interested in your rationale for considering Brad to be "Not Country".

And good luck to you in your musical career. Steel (to my ears) is one of the most important elements to the genre. You'll do the steel community proud, I'll bet.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 7:41 pm    

Quote:
It all sounds the same.

Sorry, but I just had to chuckle at that statement.

Many people say that about the "old" country music. In fact, I'd say it's one of the reasons given most for why they don't like to listen to country. Right up there with "it's too twangy", and "all they know is the I, IV, and V7 chords".

I guess if you don't appreciate particular style of music, it all starts to sound the same.

Quote:
As far as lyrics go, whoever came up with "She Thinks My Tractors Sexy"? Give me a break.

Not exactly one of my favorites. Still, I like a lot of what Kenney Chesney does.

In reality, we should be judging songs, not artists. Even George Strait has his klinkers. I don't particularly care for "The Fireman", for example.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 18 January 2001 at 07:46 PM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 7:50 pm    

Jerry,

I couldn't agree with you more about Brad Paisley. His first album is great. I hope his second follows down the same path.

To be fair, Abraham did say that not all of George Strait's (and maybe Alan Jackson's ?) songs are "country", either. So, he's being consistent, at least.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 8:09 pm    

Jerry, thanks for the kind words! And, I like Brad Paisley's music a lot, but I've never heard his whole album! I get the music from the radio! And, the songs you say, I haven't heard on the radio, but the one's I have heard are closer to country than pop, but I wonder why the radio aint playin' the good songs! And if I did have the chance to play for Brad Paisley, or ANYBODY else, I probably would! I need all the experience I can get in all genres, Becuase I will probably be playing many different styles of music when I grow up! I listen to all kinds of music!

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!