The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knife in the water
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2000 2:26 pm    

The German label Glitterhouse released the CD "plays one sound and others" by Knife in the water at the end of last year. It's a band from Austin, TX and they don't really play country music. It' more like Chicago math rock but with a great Pedal Steel played by a guy namend Bill McCullough.

I don't know if the CD is available in the USA, but if you can get you should by it. It's a fine example of bringing the PSG to other musical styles.

Martin

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2000 10:31 pm    

Interesting. Do you like it, overall?
Ricj
> http://www.knifeinthewater.com/

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2000 10:38 pm    

Martin, they sell it direct from their website, for $10.00 postpaid in the U.S.
would you recommend it?
>
Janice !!! Austin Alert, what's the scoop?

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 2:50 am    

As I mentioned before, IT'S NOT COUNTRY MUSIC, but has a nice steel guitar in it. There's beautiful harmony singing, a Hammond B-3 organ and is produced very dry and direct.

I really like it, but if you're into coutry only it might not please you.

I'd have liked it without the steel also but I found it great to see how it works in other genres.

On their website there's a MP3 link. Maybe you should try it first. "Send you up" is the best tune on the album.

Martin

[This message was edited by Martin Abend on 22 January 2000 at 02:55 AM.]

Bill McCullough

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 4:44 am    

Martin,

Thank you very much for the compliment. I am a new player who has been lucky and obsessed for about two and half or three years now with the pedal steel. I love to play pedal steel guitar in real country music, but this band had given me a chance to use a traditional country approach over chord progressions other than 1,4,5. Because Aaron's songs have a ballad feel for the most part, there is plenty of room for fills wrapping around the vocals. I just try to let melodies in my head come through to compliment the vocals and vocal harmony and help paint the mood of the song.

The album is difficult for me to listen to from a technical point of view because I hear mistakes and intonation problems that I had at the time...... I had been playing about a year when the album was recorded. On "sent you up", they wouldn't let me do my part over again for cost reasons, but I don't want to whine or make excuses... the song overall is still strong. I just kep thinking about what Jimmy Day told me.... "you want a good recording, not a perfect recording." I just hope the passion is there somewhere in the recording.

We just finished a second record which in my opinion is better than the first. There is lots of steel on this one.... and you will hear me progress since the first album. I hope by about my 20th recording I will be happy with my playing.

Your compliment means alot to me and I hope I can continue to record more and more. Thank you so much and stay in touch.

Bill McCullough

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 1:34 pm    

Whoa! Ask about a group and the steel player shows up here! Thanks for the reply, Bill.

Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2000 10:00 am    

Hey Bill, long time no see. Still haven'y heard you play yet!