Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shania "Come On In" Live in Dallas
Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2000 11:32 am    

VH 1 Concert last night...

OK... it's not traditional country... but
I enjoyed the show.... even though it's not my favorite kind of music...
About 1 hour of it was perfect.... any more would have become repetitive.

Comment....

She doesn't lip sync...

The band projected a positive... fun time and drug free family style show that was clean, tight and exciting....

The stadium was packed.... with a possitive energy family type crowd.

I listened closely under headphones and the sound of the band was quite impressive.....

The steel player was on stage.... and there was quite a bit of it in the mix.... showing off what he can do with steel guitar in a nontraditional atmosphere... his signature is an important part of the sound.

I would categorize Shania under World Music.... Pop Country.... she has a politically correct band so to speak... comprised of band members from all different races.

Of course it's not every one's cup of tea... but I've seen and heard a lot worse.

Two thumbs up for Shania....

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2000 12:33 pm    

Two thumbs up what?

Ron Shepard

Easthampton, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2000 3:50 pm    

Who is her steel player? just curious.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2000 11:26 pm    

Dallas sounds like a good place for her in the desert with the rattlers

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2000 11:57 pm    

I was one of those guys that hated Shania right up to the point that I actually listened to her sing. She is a very talented woman.

The whole mega pop thing doesn't have much to do with music in the first place. People like to be in large groups agreeing about the same thing. Its silly but not as silly as people that need to get together in little groups and complain so they can feel superior. Now that is silly !

Bob

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 6:01 am    

I won't argue whether or not Shania is talented. I will say this: Criticism of her here on the forum probably stems from the music execs marketing her as “country” and trying to shove her music down the throats—almost literally—of country radio listeners. And for what reason? Can’t she make the full transition to pop and leave it at that? If she were marketed and played as a pop act then country fans would let it be.

I’m glad she presents a good stage image and that some find it appealing. I have to like her appearance and I do agree that she sings very well. I just don’t happen to care for her music and I sort of resent that there are people manipulative enough hog up COUNTRY radio airtime with it.

Not a complaint, just another silly viewpoint.

------------------
HagFan

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 7:33 am    

I too liked the show, though I was severely chastised by my fellow bandmates for saying so last night. Just three comments, though:

Shania can sing and she is a looker in spades, but she can't dance yet. Garth has far better stage moves.

The little fiddle player/percussionist of the non-specific racial group needs to make the next cup de-caf.

Far more important for PSG was this: I saw every side musician get his share of camera time, EXCEPT the steel guitarist. He was in the mix sonically, fer sure, but if he visually was ever in anything except a long-distance camera shot, I didn't see it.

------------------
members.aol.com/herbs10178/index.html

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 8:38 am    

When something is shoved down the throat, the body instinctively responds with the gag reflex.

So if Shania is being shoved down the throats of listeners by music execs and radio programmers, how come she spends 50 weeks at number one on the Country charts, rates number one in requests to country radio stations, and sold 18 million copies of her CD? Doesn't sound like the gag reflex to me.

Another (sad) fact is the new George Jones CD has been on the charts for 27 weeks and has failed to even reach gold record status, and is a fine, fine, CD.

"Under the Influence" by Alan has reached Platinum, though.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 10:06 am    

John, I was attempting to describe the negative feelings towards Shania. You got it exactly. It is the gag reflex!

I wasn't attempting to explain the feelings of her fans.

You can badger country fans into accepting her because she’s popular on the radio. Many of us have pretty much turned off the dial. Unfortunately, I missed hearing the ads for the AJ concert here because I don’t frequent the FM country stations here. I tried to tolerate their pabulum for years, and finally gave up.

A lot of us are no longer in the prime target demographic, which BTW is women from 24-35. Alan Jackson, while a country traditionalist, appeals to the younger generations. We need more like him. I’m one of those who helped that Platinum; also bought Cold Hard Truth…

I wish someone in the music biz had a clue about statistics and statistical process control. They seem to think that outliers like Garth and Shania should be the norm for country artists. All they have to do is chart record sales by leading artists over time and see that they are chasing a myth and neglecting a lucrative country music market. Yeah, over-the-hill boomers.

------------------
HagFan

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 10:20 am    

John,
I can't speak for radio stations down your way, but I know our local "Young Country" stations absolutely refuse to play George Jones.
This, despite the public's agreement that his new album is great. One local DJ writes a weekly column in the paper. She wrote this week that she could not believe that such-and-such a survey would place George Jones' name above her beloved Tim McGraw's
on the list of significant country artists.
I had to laugh at that one.
Just MHO, but the way I see it is: The radio stations have decided to deny people the pleasure of listening to real country by removing it from the airwaves. You like George Jones? Tough beans. You can't have any.
But, we can't have dead air, so, we'll fill it up with elevator music and bic-lighter-in-the-air schlock.
I'm not saying it's badly played schlock; it isn't. I'm not saying people shouldn't listen to schlock... that's their right, and that's why they have "adult comtemporary schlock" stations. And, I'm certainly not saying their isn't a market for schlock. There's also a market for pet rocks and Jerry Springer.
To me the issue isn't what's available on radio today. It's what is NOT available/denied/verboten.
That, is shoving something down somebody's throat.
-John
p.s. Have you never noticed the crestfallen look on a new-country fan's face when you explain to them that "Under The Influence" are all remakes ?

Bill cole

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 11:34 am    

Oh Well ho!hum John I don't think anybody in there right mind would say she can sing. But if any one still has the ears god made them with then they know she aint country oh I may want to take that back them folks from up north of the border have a differnt kind of country the we folks do. And anyone who has been around Radio or should I say Buffalo Radio the disc jocks or for a better button pushers don't have one thing to say about what is played or when it is played all they do is push buttons when the log in front of them tells them to push now. The log is made out by some one else I might add. Now there could be the false impression that we counrty floks had something to do with her or Braf Brooks popularity WRONG..I like a lot of other people could care less if either one ever sang another song if you want to call it that. It's people like them and not only them who have ruined the GOO so if any one wants to back them go for it. I and a lot of other players set our standards a lot higher. We refuse to play there music if you want to call it that we don't listen to there music heck garbage by any other name is still GARBAGE

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 12:45 pm    

Ron,

I've always enjoyed your points, and some are well taken here (I also own and play both the George and Alan CDs). But I am not sure you can badger people into going to the store and plunking down hard earned cash to buy something they really don't like, there is something more there.

You are right that a lot of traditional listeners have abandoned country radio, and hopefully, there will be some modern traditionalists to bring some balance back to it. However, you are dealing with the reality that when Congress relaxed the restriction on the amount a stations a single corporation could own, it was a dark day for radio. The majority of radio stations are under the control of so few people, that only the bottom line of attracting the right demographic is going to matter to the programmers. Hence you will be hearing a lot of Shania, cause it sells. Traditional country radio will not only fail to bring in the number of listeners, but also the wrong demographic. This is also happening at the labels also. Seagrams controls a scary potion of the major labels at the moment.

I would love to see some more balance, as I like both the old and the new stuff. You have to keep up to bring in a new generation of listeners. My wife and daughter love country music, along with a lot of other music. They'll sit and enjoy "Under the Influence", and George and the like, but they flee to the farthest corner of the house if I tune in the Opry, they can't handle the old stuff (and my daughter is NOT like the kids Carl Dixon was ranting about).

I don't have any answers, only observations. I do think this whole merger/bigger is better/ mentality has to have a backlash st some point.

PS--I do think Shania is a great singer, and I am reasonably sure I am in my right mind.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 1:59 pm    

Well said, John Steele.

John Macy, thanks for the compliment. The feeling is totally mutual.

Quote:
Seagrams controls a scary potion of the major labels at the moment.

That should be in our favor. I guarantee you that Shania’s fans could never compete with HagFans on Segrams consumption. Oops! I guess I forgot about all the soft drinks they own.

Hey, I meant to say “cannot badger…” in that post above.

I think blaming Garth and Shania personally for the industry’s fixation with their success is wrong. That’s what I was saying earlier. They are too busy looking for the next Shania or Garth to pay attention to the next Patty Loveless or Alan Jackson.

I’m not a proponent of old versus new. I’m saying let’s go with the young and the new, but lets kindly keep it country. You know I would have said keep with “tradition”, but then we’d get into that philosophical sidebar again… Suffice it to say, we need more Alan Jackson’s.

------------------
HagFan

Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 4:14 pm    

Sorry, I refuse to board the Shania "bandwagon". As a country singer she can't hold a candle to Connie Smith, Leona Williams, and a host of others. Jonelle Mosher and Shelby Lynne, though neither one is country in a classic sense, simply blow her away in regards to style and soul. And as a "pop" diva, forget it! Natalie Cole, Chaka Khan, Aretha and others, leave her in the dust. Just because she sings (somewhat) in tune does not make her a good singer. Her style lacks substance, style and soul. I'm not buying the hype!

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 8:56 pm    

No way would i get back on this bandwagon
either. I had The Womaen in Me but got rid of
it within a year.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Bill cole

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 10:09 pm    

Uoyr setting the gate pretty high cause there aint many who can hold a candle to Connie Smith and that takes them all in

Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2000 6:58 am    

All I'm saying is that she (along with most other "stars") simply don't measure up from a talent standpoint. It's not because I don't think she's country enough, or at all for that matter. I just get tired of mediocre talent getting shoved down are collective throats by the media, press agents,and various other Madison Avenue types. But that will never change. That same media hype affects our buying decisions in other areas too. For instance, our choice of Resturants, the cars we buy, the latest video games even the blue jeans we wear. But, that's just the way it is. Talent and quality usually mean very little.

[This message was edited by Stephen Gregory on 15 January 2000 at 10:28 AM.]

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2000 8:44 am    

Personally I wouldn't categorize Shania or Garth in the mediocre talent group.
I agree that Shania's band is not traditional country.. it will never be considered folk art.
What she does offer though is good clean family style, high energy entertainment. I noticed that there were a lot of young children in the audience... for them I'm sure it was a fun and exciting experience.

All too often it seems Garth and Shania are blamed for the demise of traditional country... in actuality they have little to do with it.

Shania has a high energy band with a country tinge and that is her unique Canadian sound... I'm drawn to the fact that she employs a hot pedal steel guitarist in the group....( must be the politically correct thing to do ) and most likely, I would be less interested in the band if there were no steel guitar.

If I had children who wanted to see her live in concert... I wouldn't hesitate to go.... it just seems like a real fun and clean show.... and with out the guitar smashing ego of a Garth show.

By the way.... we're getting quite a bit of George Jones " Changes " on AM 800 WDUX Classic Country out of Central Wisconsin. Great Station.... unique mix of new and old country... and even a polka now and then.

Bill cole

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2000 9:13 am    

I think I changed my mind I really think I can learn to love Graf and Shiny cause I think I will go into the hearing aid buss. and what better way to get rich then have all the kids go to the rott concerts and I sell the hearing aids after they can't hear no mo hu what ya say

BobRob

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2000 9:29 am    

Mike,

The way you describe Shania's show, it almost sounds like a Barney the dinosaur concert. Hot pink versus hot purple. Thousands of kids. Songs only a child could
love.

Later,

BobRob

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2000 5:36 pm    

If this were the 1970's.... you can bet Shania would have been a guest on Sesame Street

By the way... there wasn't much publicity on the fact that after the Columbine shooting out in Denver... Shania visited each wounded child in the hospital... and without publicity...

thought that was cool of her.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2000 4:20 am    

Hey Mike,
I agree with you a lot on Shania's group and also about the description of the show! I think "Clean, Tight, and Exciting is a good way to describe her............I mean the show!

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 3:37 pm    

Joe,
I agree with you,God bless Shania for having a PSG in her band and sessions.
She continues to make an impact in music today! This is what steel is about being heard all over the world! Hat's off to Shania and any performer that can make a difference! Theresa
Go Girl!

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 5:12 pm    

Well, IMHO, the name of the game here is
'ENTERTAINMENT'. We were entertained to a rightful 'star', I suppose. She 's gorgeous.
The music was happenstance, and if there was any semblance of what we all [I think, ALL] agree is 'country', was a hard sell.
Granted I didn't [or couldn't] watch the entire hour[?]; the little time I did watch,
and listen, I saw nor heard the steelman. And
I did watch and listen.
I mean, I care less for her show. God bless
her, and I wish her well. But please, she is as far from 'country' as this country is
from Siberia.
So I think this is the really big gripe here
on the forum. Hey....you know...do your thing, play "your own kind of music", and that's OK. But please don't try to pass it off as country music; to many, many people who already know the BEANS from the BACH.
FWIW

FWIW

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 6:23 pm    

Chip,
I don't know if Shania ever said she was country. Does that make or break a person?
The fact is she's getting the music out there.