Author Topic:  Telavised opry Jan 8
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2000 6:31 pm    

7:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Porter Wagoner, Asleep at the Wheel, Lonestar

7:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Charlie Walker, Del Reeves, Jo Dee Messina

I'm certain it's the whole hour this week.

Considering how my tastes went from lonestar to AATW this is quite a lineup

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2000 7:48 pm    

Looks like a good show to me.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2000 10:51 pm    

Opry 2000 :Looks like things are looking up for us, that are of exquisite taste! As I said last week how long can this last? They may have even got the Leroy thing out of their system! Two in a row looks good to me! Anyone agree with me? Al Udeen- Sho-Bud#3

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2000 5:49 am    

What would be great if Jo-Dee and Lonestar would show they can actually sing a Country Song,remember when Faith Hill tried on a George Jones Show,she stunk.The line up is Good I do like Jo_Dee ,lonestar,But R.B.& AATW are always great. Show rating "A".Keep the Opry at the RYMAN. IHS

------------------
cjc

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2000 8:00 am    

Hey Joe,
I don't know much about Jo Dee, but Lonestar can do a country song. Their first hit (at least the 1st one I heard) was a song called "Tequila Talking" which my band did for a couple of years and it really went over great. I think it's a real country tune if there ever was one. Jo Dee's "Heads Carolina, Tails California" wasn't too bad either it's just that both of these acts haven't followed them with as traditional stuff as we'd like them to. I think the guy who sings lead with Lonestar has a great voice. Janice, thanks for the Opry info, we really appreciate it here in Va. They never post it in the TV section as to who's appearing that night.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2000 9:59 am    

Sorry Jerry I liked those songs too especially Tequilla Talking. My only point is one B0b brought up and that is why don't the newer artist when the appear on the Opry, sing other than their material and help carry on the tradition.

------------------
cjc

Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 7:35 am    

Lonestar's first album was almost all country that everyone would like. The second album was very good also but not hardly as country as the traditionalist would like. The third and current album would probably not set well with those traditionalist but there are some GREAT songs on this album as well. I know that they will do their current single "Smile" tonight but I don't know what else. Listen to the song they do tonight and for once, forget that there's not a steel solo all the way through the song and enjoy the ENTIRE song. At least they have a steel player and he is a great guy along with all the other guys in the band. It's definately not a steel players paradise gig and the front of house guy never turns him up in the mix (which chaps my A$$) but there has been several younger generation folks enquired about steel guitar after seeing Lonestar. If you ever get a chance, hook up with their steeler Jeremy Moyers and you'll have a new friend for life. He's one of my best friends and I've learned a lot of PF's licks from him too!

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 6:14 pm    

Well it was great to see the old Ryman again and it's freindly atmosphere however, three songs by Jo-Dee was a bit much. Perfect example of a steel player just filling the stage.Her middle song would have really been great with the steel taking the main fills,Distortion ruled on her set.Asleep at the wheel were thei usual great selfs,Lonestar has great material and I liked their two performances,although I would have thought they would have more steel in especially "Smile". Poor Dell was really struggling and didn't look well at all. The Band sounded great during Charlie Walkers "Pick me up" generally with the Wheels fabulous two songs the show was good.But it smelled of Fish.. er Pete Fisher that is.

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 08 January 2000 at 06:19 PM.]

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 6:39 pm    

If the opry could just get sound people that recognized something besides Drums.

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 6:54 pm    

Someone needs to give Jo Dee Massena advice on attire for the opry. Muscle shirts on men are bad enough let alone gals.

Porter and his dedications were touching and Hank Corwin shined on the intro to I'm Movin
On.

Asleep At the Wheel looked great as always but i would have liked to see a closeup of their new keyboard guy.

Thats the first time I have seen Lonestar with other the the quartet.

Charlie Walker also looked great and mike did a nice steel run on C6.

Del Reeves voice is showing age but tonight was better then some of his impersonations.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Tommy Butler

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 7:06 pm    

What about the steel guitar mix . The only one you could hear was ole Tommy White..
JoDee's steeler looked a lil nervous . Jeremy did good for Lonestar , what lil steel there is in their music his mix was low , but sounded good what I heard . & I always enjoy Del .

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 7:48 pm    

Belly Buttons on the Opry? Very Tacky Outfit. Where was Hank Corwin? Looked more like Fred Newell to me? Most was pretty good,I guees we'll see next week if they can keep it together? I like the Ryman Location! Al

Peggy Green

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 7:54 pm    

Jo Dee - it's January, your attire wasn't appropriate. Even if it was July, it still wasn't appropriate.

Wan't that the former lead guitar player from Nashville Now, Fred, playing the GFI steel for Porter? Leon Rhodes got to be on with Porter too, .

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 8:38 pm    

If anyone has any doubt what Country Music is, It don't get NO better than Pick Me Up On Your Way Down the way it was done tonight.

Bob

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2000 10:17 pm    

Al,Hank Corwin has taken early retirement and there is some kind of deal where he cannot work the Opry and other stuff for a short time.Some kind of grace period with his pension.He'll be back.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2000 3:31 am    

It seems there was a sound mix problem. I have my tv going thru a Bose sound surround system and I utilized it right at the end of the first song by porter. It made a difference but the drums were loud. Jo_Dee should have used less make up and more clothes.I'M told several Artist used Leon during the night.That TV spot was worth some 90.clams Side men are logged in and paid for their spots.

------------------
cjc

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2000 9:32 am    

I gotta chime in that Jo Dee Messina's clothing was totally inappropriate for the venue. It was rude. She looked really sloppy. I don't understand why anyone would get up on the Opry stage dressed like that.

I enjoyed Tommy's solo on Charlie Walker's tune. I tuned in late and missed The Wheel (drat!).

Too bad they couldn't have had Kayton Roberts for the Hank Snow tribute. The pedal steel just didn't sound right in those tunes, to my ears. By the way, was this the first time that a GFI was played on the Opry?

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 09 January 2000 at 09:34 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2000 12:11 pm    

Again I checked who the sponsors (advertisers) were to see what demographic they expect. I'm pleased to report that they are going for a younger audience. They actually pulled one of the denture adhesive ads and replaced it with Chevy Blazer!!!

Of course the various dietary supplements and erectile dysfunction etc are still there.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2000 5:12 pm    

That solo on Pick Me Up was outstanding!!
the Wheel was great as usual, only the mix kept you from hearing Cindi's solo & fills.
And Geez, Jo-Dee looked like a hippy refugee'
she was hangin out all over the place...
She knew it too, she kept tring to pull her shirt down to cover herself ... very tacky!!

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2000 5:34 pm    

I loved Jo Dee and the band,her steel player sounded great.
Sorry I missed Jeremy with Lonestar.
Great seeing Hoot and it being back at the Ryman! Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 09 January 2000 at 06:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 10 January 2000 at 09:21 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2000 7:04 pm    

Maybe Jo Dee has been using Mary Chapin Carpenter as a "fashion consultant".