The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What would it take for Branson Mo????
Dean Brown

Austin, Tx.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 5:46 am    

From what I've observed over the last several years, Branson Mo. is becoming a center for "traditional" country music. They're doing it with entertainers who were on top in Nashville 15 - 30 years ago. I think the big difference is country radio. Nashville seems to dominate country radio which is why so many people won't listen to it. How can the Branson performers become more involved in country music radio? Most of those stations don't care what they play as long as it pays and Nashville execs seem to be the only ones paying them.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 6:13 am    

The "name" singers (that are left) in Branson are in the "non playlist" boat, the same as Haggard, Jones, etc. With the current mindset in the industry today I don't see any way of them getting back in.

Everyone talks about Branson, but unless things have changed in the last three years, there isn't as many big name country singers left there. There was a big exodus of people in the last 5 years, e.g. Roy Clark. Then the older pop singers started showing up such as Andy Williams.

I don't see Branson as being the "hotbed" of country music that it once was. Location is one of the biggest factors - it's in a rural area and even with the new road construction getting around sucks. If Springfield (Mo) would have been the hub then it would have a better chance since it has an Airport and the interstate road.

Fred Ermentrout

Foristell MO 63348
Post  Posted 31 Dec 1999 4:57 am    

When a country entertainer sets up shop in Branson he/she is pretty much assured that there will be no country airplay involved with this particular career move. In the mid-80's Roy Clark and a few others opened theaters in Branson and the "boom" began. In the last 15 years I can't think of anyone who has had radio success while using Branson as home base. There is some great music to be heard there--fine pickers and singers and so on but this place is anything but a springboard for national recognition. Further, there is little "traditional" country music played in this town and most of the acts aren't country to begin with. A show in Branson is laden with glitz, glamour, comedy--more Vegas than anything--and if you take this for what it is it's pretty good entertainment. But radio play has not been part of the deal in the last two decades.

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2000 5:08 pm    

Bob glad to hear the year is scheduling out good for you,but I confess I hate to see you not doing some shows in Branson.

My thing is coming to Branson and chasing down all the shows where a steel guitar player is part of the band.

Keep us posted.

I still expect to see you doing some things in Branson unless you just choose not to.Somewhere there has got to be something good for the good guys.

Charlie Hunter

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2000 8:16 pm    

Hey! I'm a wannabe and I wannabe before I get to be a has-been, unless I'm already a has-been and don't wannabe a has-been so where can I sign up before I reach has-been wannabe status?

------------------
SWAMPWATER SMYTH

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2000 7:53 pm    

I am glad to read these responses. I have never been a Branson fan myself. I have gone a few times and never enjoyed myself. I dont like the "sit down-let me entertain you" style of the shows there. I agree that it will never be any threat to Nashville. I still love Nashville and go there when I can, altho I realize it isnt "what it used to be". But then, neither am I, just ask my wife !! But I have been to the steel guitar jams in Branson they have twice a year, one in February and one in July, and I really enjoy those. There are some fine steel players in the area that play at those shows.